Option not to write "artist" and "title" tags in output video files

Started by Bosanek, March 17, 2014, 08:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosanek

Hello!

I have been using Avidemux v2.5.6 for years, as I found Avidemux v2.6.x too unstable to use, until recently. And to be honest, I got so well accustomed to v2.5.6.

However, v2.5.6 has one irritating "feature" - it automatically writes a string "Avidemux" in the "artist" tag of the output video file (I usually save in MP4 format), and it also automatically writes the string of the file name of the output file in the "title" tag of the output video file.

This behavior is very irritating, especially when you rename a file later on, and it still keeps displaying the same old artist and  title name in video players!

Since v2.5.x is now probably deprecated and no new features or fixes will be added to it, can this at least be remedied in v.2.6.x?

To be specific - can an option be added to Avidemux v2.6.x to disable writing of "artist" and "title" tags in output video files of any format?

P.S.:
I have tried to use several utilities to change the "artist" and "title" tags in MP4 files, but all of them perform a complete rewrite of the video file. Not only is that very slow and hdd-wearing for large video files, but it also imposes a risk of data corruption when large amounts of data are being processed in a PC (it happens occassionally that a data bit or two get corrupted during those operations on each of my PCs - and my RAM is not defective).
If anybody knows of an utility software which can edit tags in MP4 and MKV files produced by Avidemux, without rewriting the entire file, please let me know.

Bosanek

I have just tested Avidemux v2.6.8 regarding this behavior.
I checked the output files with MediaInfo v0.7.64.

I found out that it does not appear to be writing any tags in output mp4v1 files (except the tag "Writing application" = "Lavf54.63.104").

On the other hand, it does not write even that tag in output mp4v2 files, but it writes tags "Encoded date" = [current date and time] and "Tagged date" = [current date and time].

Regarding output mkv files,  it appears to be writing only the tags "Writing application" = "Lavf54.63.104" and "Writing library" = "Lavf54.63.104".

This is quite good, except that for mp4v2 files, it would be desirable to make an option to exclude writing of those time tags in them. When you are embedding time tags, the consequence is that the two mp4v2 files made from exactly the same source (with the same settings) will never be identical on the bit level, as the time tags in them will always be different. That makes double-file-check comparisons impossible.

Kind regards!