Avidemux 2.6.8 refuses to open very large and long videos (Solved)

Started by abc123, April 24, 2014, 09:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc123

Hello:
I'm trying to open a 13:20 mins 1.03GB video with Avidemux 2.6.8, and it is crashes with the error in the attachment.
Please help.

zakk

AQUAR

Probably need to re-install the runtime library.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632

abc123

I've Windows 7 SP1 32bit, and the link is for the 64bit version of the runtime library.
Also, I downloaded the 32bit runtime library, but it refuses to install itself, as he mentions that I have a newer version.
Edit: I just looked in Revo Installer, and seen that I've 2005, three 2008, one 2010 and one 2012.

AQUAR

Uninstall them all and just re-install the latest version from microsoft.

If that doesn't fix the issue, then there maybe a "rogue" startup service/program that is interfering.
To find out, do a clean boot (ie only allow microsoft services/programs) and check if avidemux runs okay.
Then its a matter of trouble shooting for finding the offender.

Note: those are just suggestions and not solutions, as there may be other causes for this issue.

abc123

I did the following steps:
1. Uninstalled al the runtime libraries of Microsoft Visual C++ from the oldest (2005) to the newest (2012).
2. Searched in Windows Update for the lastest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package = Don't found any.
3. Launched Avidemux 2.6.8 when no Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package installed in my operating system = Successfull.
4. Tryed to open the troubleshooting video again = Got the Microsoft Visiual C++ runtime library error once again, despite no Redistributable Package installed.
I have Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

abc123

Installed the most updated Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 redistributable: Not works.

AQUAR

Have you done the clean reboot to see if you can eliminate the possibility that other services/programs are causing this issue?

Avidemux does call the C++ run time library (MSVCRT.DLL), but probably any version of it should work okay.

Some other potential actions you can try out (without giving the reasons why this might cause this issue):
1) Under avidemux preferences - display - video display - select default raster and untick OpenGL support.

2) DL the latest nightly, unpack in a separate folder, rename avidemux.exe to avidemux_portable.exe, double click on avidemux_portable.exe.
(This runs avidemux in portable mode).

3) Sometimes you also need to update the microsoft .NET Framework (but I don't think avidemux needs this).

It's really an issue of trouble shooting your system, like have you recently installed other programs, services, toolbars etc.

Might also help if you post the media details as given by mediainfo, especially if this issue only relates to a particular video.. 

abc123

1. Video display is set to "default raster" and "Enable OpenGL support" in unchecked.
2. I downloaded the lastest nightly, and did the instructions. Still don't help.
I didn't tryed to do a clean reboot.
The problem occurs usually with videos that exceeds 10:00 mins, and are very large. With smaller and shorter videos, there are no problems.
In the attachment, is the media details of the video that I trys to open with Avidemux, given by Mediainfo.
No junk installed in my computer.

Jan Gruuthuse

Sometimes it helps:
- when renaming the video file to short filename using only standard us ascii, only like test
- avoid long paths, create short ones close to root of hard drive only using only standard us ascii. Like d:\test
problematic path: to deep, spaces in path and none ascii characters: My Documents\My Pictures\Canon PowerShot SX150 IS (פע×â,,¢Ã—Å")\תמונות מהב×â,,¢Ã—§×•×¨ במפע×Å" ש×Å" א×Å"תם 21.1.2013\MVI_0141.MOV
- have sufficient free space on your system drive: more or less 2.5 times the file you want to edit.
- close all none essential programs down, including the ones showing in bottom right hand corner.

If all fails consider installing
for 64-bit cpu: ubuntu 12.04 lts 64-bit
for 32-bit cpu: fedora17_32
alongside windows on another partition. Seek advice doing so, if you have never done something similar, so you don't damage/erase your windows system.

memory:
- 4 GB ram seems a really minimum  working with videos, 8 GB preferable, 16 GB better (linux) and I think the same would still go for windows. (remembering xp, and seeing vista/windows 7/8.0/8.1 working from time to time.

I'm editing from time to time up to 32 GB video file, 5 1/2 hours of HD video (720p or 1080i)

AQUAR

I'll second Jan's observation:
Its better to move the media file so that it can be located without symbolic characters in its directory path.

abc123

I'm copied the file to D:\Temp and renamed it to MVI0141.MOV: Still don't works.

AQUAR

That's a pity!

Do try a clean boot.
And if that fails its quite possible that Avidemux is faulting some C++ runtime function call .

If that is the case then its beyond us endusers.
Since MS Avidemux is cross-compiled on Linux this could be a real problem even for the developer.

Jan Gruuthuse

Maybe you have an issue with the Apple codec or iFrame is not available/supported in avidemux?
Seems this camera only has either Quicktime file with a .mov extension or 720p iFrame format.
See if saving in other Apple format works?
Do check if another format is available for saving, .mp4 perhaps?

Provide/upload a 5 second recording in the mov format to public available download area (no login/subscription). Users and developer can then check if this works on their system.

update:
iFrame (video format)
About the iFrame video format