News:

--

Main Menu

How to keep original frame rates

Started by Ice, April 29, 2014, 01:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice

Is it better to use the ChangeFPS option, ResampleFPS option or simply leave the video alone and allow Avidemux to encode the file?

You see, I'm asking this because whenever I encode an MP4 or whichever other format, sometimes I get a file with an FPS of 120, rather, double the original FPS of the video I put in. Or is that merely the maximum range of the file format? The encoded file doesn't seem to be playing faster, I just wanted to make sure the video hasn't changed.

ResampleFPS seems to duplicate or have a sort of frame stutter, so perhaps that isn't a good option to use.

bernd_b

If you want to speed up/down your result compared to the source, use ChangeFPS

If you want to change FPS (Frames per second) but keep the original playing time, use ResampleFPS. But you probably will get what you describe: some sort of frame stutter.

If you leave everything to avidemux, I would know no case where FPS should be changed.

Are you sure this is really the case in your example? You say yourself that the playing time of the encoded file hasn't changed, so maybe the FPS are just wrongly reported?

Ice

It might be wrongly reported or just a footnote for the possible maximum bitrate? Source was definitely 60FPS however. Which is strange. I learned my lesson with ResampleFPS, the stutter is quite annoying although I did want to keep the original video length, but smooth playback is better overall.

AQUAR

Sure it was Frames per second not Fields per second?

Ice

AQUAR

If you are looking at the stats via a program like Mediainfo then you don't alway see the truth.
It might simply be some incorrect or badly interpreted meta data.

Check out the time interval between frames when hopping between frames using avidemux.
If it averages to 16.7 ms then the frame rate is 60.

Ice

Even the file info itself says 120 FPS in its properties, and I tested it in a few other programs, but I'll take a look in avidemux.

Atenza

Have same issue when trying to use cutter on mp4 files it doubles the framerate,
I found that I can edit the idx2 file. "Fps=60000 to Fps=30000"
Close app and open again and chose same file and then do the cut.
Would bee nice if you could set the framerate in the left side under video.

Atenza

Sorry !
Had the same issue but updated to latest version and is works fine.