News:

--

Main Menu

Container format for extracted audio

Started by Kurt, July 07, 2014, 06:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt

It would be soooooo nice to be able to specify a container format for extracted audio - specifically .aac audio, which is essentially meaningless by itself.  Avidemux links against ffmpeg, which is quite happy to encode extracted aac audio into adts, m4a, or even wav.  I hate having to fire up ffmpeg on the command line for this.

Please please please. :)

AQUAR

I think you can already do that.
Extract (save audio) with recode and give it the proper extension.

zakk

No you can't with AAC, Kurt is right.

AQUAR

Kurt mentioned extracting aac audio AND recoding that extraction.
That element is what I responded too.
Avidemux can extract the aac audio and recode to eg AC3.

styrol

Quote from: AQUAR on July 08, 2014, 08:05:02 AM
Kurt mentioned extracting aac audio AND recoding that extraction.
I think he referred to ffmpeg and its ability to pack AAC into containers (e.g. M4A):
Quote from: Kurt on July 07, 2014, 06:13:47 AM
Avidemux links against ffmpeg, which is quite happy to encode extracted aac audio into adts, m4a, or even wav.
So he didn't mean encoding but packing/embedding the audio stream into a container.

Quote from: Kurt on July 07, 2014, 06:13:47 AM
I hate having to fire up ffmpeg on the command line for this.
So do I. That's why I use a GUI version to ffmpeg for this kind of task. I use Avidemux only for cutting videos in copy mode. Any other task is done by more powerful software.

AQUAR

Yes, I didn't read carefull enough to ascertain alternative intent.
I just honed in on 'encode and .wave' (a .wav file holds uncompressed PCM sound, so that would be a recode from aac).

Kurt

Yes, simply encapsulating into a container format is what I meant.  I don't want to re-encode the audio, as often times the videos I want to extract the audio from already have the audio encoded at the lowest quality I'd call acceptable.

Really, for 90% of videos nowadays, as AAC is becoming so ubiquitous, the current ability of avidemux to strip and save the raw audio is pretty much useless.  So encapsulating in some way would be ideal.  Even if it was just a non-configurable default of m4a or adts.