News:

--

Main Menu

Сan't deinterlace video

Started by xyzuvw, November 15, 2014, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xyzuvw

Hi. I have Full HD video from IPTV. Part of the video is interlacing (see from 00:00:2.000), another part - progressive.

I turn on yadif filter (T&S, TFF). Verification in the mode "Bob, T&S, TFF" confirms that it is TFF.
All other video settings are default for x264. After saving I receive trembling of hands (see from 00:00:2.000). Moreover, Pinnacle Studio 17 recognizes the result video as 50i. What do I do not so?

Fragment of the source video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw-31bgZZTNsaW0xdkJvb2RjVGc/view?usp=sharing

Result video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw-31bgZZTNsZ3pWMEJ4eUtjOVE/view?usp=sharing

AQUAR

I have not given this much thought but maybe this helps:

Since its a PAL tv broadcast derived video, the progressive frames would be presented as 2 interlaced fields (from the same moment in time!).
So maybe a smart deinterlacer will pickup frames that are progressive and weave its fields and frames that are interlaced by selective blending the fields. If you bob deinterlace progressive frames it shouldn't cause jitters I would think, but weaving them is better.

If there is telecining involved somewhere in the chain (NTSC derived stuff!) then it gets more complicated again.

Probably try looking at the descriptions for various avisynth plugin filters for getting an idea of how to treat these mixed videos.

Also here is a bit of a description from the Mencoder pages (film to NTSC stuff):

Mixed progressive and interlaced.
There are two options for dealing with this category, each of which is a compromise. You should decide based on the duration/location of each type.

Treat it as progressive. The interlaced parts will look interlaced, and some of the interlaced fields will have to be dropped, resulting in a bit of uneven jumpiness. You can use a postprocessing filter if you want to, but it may slightly degrade the progressive parts.

This option should definitely not be used if you want to eventually display the video on an interlaced device (with a TV card, for example). If you have interlaced frames in a 24000/1001 frames per second video, they will be telecined along with the progressive frames. Half of the interlaced "frames" will be displayed for three fields' duration (3/(60000/1001) seconds), resulting in a flicking "jump back in time" effect that looks quite bad. If you even attempt this, you must use a deinterlacing filter like lb or l5.

It may also be a bad idea for progressive display, too. It will drop pairs of consecutive interlaced fields, resulting in a discontinuity that can be more visible than with the second method, which shows some progressive frames twice. 30000/1001 frames per second interlaced video is already a bit choppy because it really should be shown at 60000/1001 fields per second, so the duplicate frames do not stand out as much.

Either way, it is best to consider your content and how you intend to display it. If your video is 90% progressive and you never intend to show it on a TV, you should favor a progressive approach. If it is only half progressive, you probably want to encode it as if it is all interlaced.

Treat it as interlaced. Some frames of the progressive parts will need to be duplicated, resulting in uneven jumpiness. Again, deinterlacing filters may slightly degrade the progressive parts.

AQUAR

I looked at both samples.
The trembling of hands is much the same in both and seems more related to the action intensity of the guy in the video.

xyzuvw

AQUAR
Why trembling is absent when I view a preview of the Yadif filter? And why Pinnacle recognizes the output file as 50i instead of 25p?

AQUAR

Which version of avidemux are you using?
Pinnacle probably is looking at meta data that references the original fleld rate.

This clip also tries to do a RPC (remote procedure call) when I try to play it in windows media player.
That is suspcious behaviour for a media clip.

xyzuvw