bug: video display corrupt on multiple instances of codec use

Started by Papou, December 15, 2013, 04:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Gruuthuse

Tested again, 4 avidemux instances 3 playing and one stepping thru movie: no problem.
The problem starts when encoding using VDPAU and using playback for VDPAU. Avidemux will protest vdpau is already in use. As op wrote he uses VDPAU for AMD GPU.
As far I understood VDPAU avidemux is only geared to nvidia (CUDA Cores), unless mean states otherwise.
So I don't know if OP should run VDPAU with the Radeon HD6326, my opinion probably not.

AQUAR

First gen core2duo's are really old and are not mobile processors (E6400 at 2.13 Ghz!).
I'm guessing its less capable than the cpu in the OP's setup.

On my crappy PC, as long as only one instance is working out of the multiple instances, everything is fine under windows (GPU is also a very basic ATI Radeon here). However, the OP gets display corruption and is using linux.
VDPAU is a linux thing and should work with open source video drivers for ATI HD-Radeons (limited by avidemux?). 

Multi-tasking two active avidemux instances is not do-able on this PC (could try and assign each instance to a core?).

Anyway, the whole thing is moot regardless of PC performance.

Papou

Quote from: AQUAR on June 06, 2014, 11:18:56 AM
Obsessing about running multiple instances of avidemux is just weird (IMHO).
So it must be a linux thing!
What is really weird instead is claiming, while Movie Player is paused in the background,
that making avidemux (a single one) step frame by frame with the right arrow
means running multiple instances of avidemux to edit several videos at the same time,
that it consumes a lot of human and system resources: CPU & GPU & disk are practically 0 and real memory is 15%, 5 yo pushing the key,
that vic should be used instead,
that I should discard this computer on which all of the video and the rest runs super fine except 2.6 in this case
that getting the picture I posted is normal in stopped state after pushing the right arrow once
and that it is not an avidemux bug.

Obsessing about resources stress is really weird.
I told you that I get 5 instances of that video running correctly with avidemux 2.5, or with 2.6 and only that bug.

I also am only a user but I think that if all of Linux is running file including avidemux 2.5, the bug is in 2.6 and most probably in libADM_coreVideoCodec6.so when it meets some conditions.
Note the title of this thread.
Would it perchance be possible to have for a test avidemux display a video with the system's codec or an application with avidemux codec?

Jan Gruuthuse

As you insist this is a avidemux 2.6.x bug, then it stops for me here.

Check this out: Reporting bugs
Good luck

AQUAR

@ Papou
My perception of your problem is based on your title and your various descriptors.

When you make statements like those below, its not unreasonable to think that you are executing multiple instances of avidemux and getting display corruption.
These are your statements:
"video display corrupt on multiple instances of codec use" 
"It happens on a second, third... Avidemux windows"
"the first window displays a still picture while another exhibits the problem"
"avidemux which is in the paused state after having written a video to be able to launch a second avidemux instance to watch that output".

So if my perception of your issue is wrong, why are you responding with heat to this association?
Certainly has killed my enthusiasm to provide explorative help.

I'll just finish with this thought: Issues with codecs used by avidemux should not be bug attributed to avidemux but instead to the relevant project.   

Papou

Quote from: AQUAR on June 07, 2014, 07:55:19 AM
@ Papou
My perception of your problem is based on your title and your various descriptors.

When you make statements like those below, its not unreasonable to think that you are executing multiple instances of avidemux and getting display corruption.

And that's exactly what I may do but it's not necessary to insist on my PC being defective crap when I have said that it occurs in paused state consuming no resources and that I am a fool editing several videos simultaneously when I do not and that running multiple instances of avidemux is unsupported, it certainly is.

Quote from: Papou on June 04, 2014, 12:37:51 AM
It only occurs with H.264 / AVC codec, not ASP, flash ...
It also occurs when another program is using that codec simultaneously.
But other programs' display themselves are not affected.

That's full reply #3 that was written asap.
Unfortunately, one cannot say something before finding it.
And the rest of the 20 posts is my replying that it's not a matter of resource stress or of multi editing.
But I do launch a second instance of avidemux just after an encoding to check it and even that was said to be unsupported.
And I was accused of obsession !!!

By saying that it's an avidemux bug, I mean a bug in the packaged bundle.
If it's in the codec, the avidemux should better discuss that with its authors than poor me.
I have reworked the bug description.

Thanks for your attention.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: Papou on June 07, 2014, 11:56:03 AM
But I do launch a second instance of avidemux just after an encoding to check it and even that was said to be unsupported.
You're good at getting things out of context.
Quote from: Jan GruuthuseOnly one avidemux instance should be used. Netbook cpu could be to light.
Then you post a lot of blabla about wunderfull AMD and their closed source Radeon driver.
Quote from: PapouI would certainly not trash such a nice Radeon driver when Linux cries because vendors do not support Linux!
Quote from: PapouI'll investigate Catalyst options.
I waited one year before buying this great laptop because the Open Source driver was completely failing with the E450.

Please let us recall that this Radeon "card" is working extremely well with all applications except the 2.6 version of avidemux  (2.5 is OK) and not well only in respect of this issue.
Fix only what is broken they say.  I would rather compare 2.6 and 2.5.

You're not here for help, just picking a fight and blaming avidemux and the developers.

AQUAR

@ Papou
No one called you a fool here.
I simply said its weird to edit 2 videos at the same time - since you are not doing that -  its a moot point.

Ignoring suggestions that don't support your conclusion is what you prefer to do.
You have had at least 3 plausible broad based thoughts that we think might lead to such a problem.
And verification that, with windows 7 on lesser hardware, there is no display corruption.

But, since you are closed minded on exploring what might be behind this issue we (other endusers) cannot help you.

So, that leaves you with trying to convince the developer that this is an Avidemux bug.
Do you think your approach so far has been conducive to that objective?

Wish I had followed my instinct to not contribute to this post. 

Papou

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on June 07, 2014, 03:51:20 PM
You're not here for help, just picking a fight and blaming avidemux and the developers.

I mostly am here not to get help indeed but to report an issue that will help making a better avidemux for everybody and the least that can be said is that your calling that picking a fight is highly appropriate.
You call reporting issues blaming avidemux and the developers.
I'm dodging bullets.

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on June 07, 2014, 03:51:20 PM
Quote from: Papou on June 07, 2014, 11:56:03 AM
You're good at getting things out of context.

It is the exact context of the problem. Who could know better?

Talking your way would be rude and I am not.

AQUAR

@ Papou

Lots of people report issues and can have beneign discussions about them.
You have reported an issue and claimed it to be an Avidemux Bug.

When people try to get you to consider other plausible reasons, you just continued to insist its a bug.
And your insistance is padded by reflecting comments made by respondents in an out of context manner.

Now if you feel like you are dodging bullets, its because we raised our shields of apathy to reflect those bullets.

If all you wanted to do is report an issue, then its mission accomplished.
And let me thank you for that component.

But since its being presented as an avidemux bug, expect others to explore/argue that point.
That flow on is not meant to come across as rude and you very well know that.
IMHO You should retract that kind of implication.
I am sure we can be more elegant in our responses but for goodness sake we are just trying to help.

Really wish I had followed my instinct to not contribute to this post.

mean

Are you using some sort of hw accelerated decoding, such as vdpau or intel ?

Papou

I have posted a workaround there...

Quote from: Papou on November 07, 2014, 01:55:07 PM
I have found how to work around both artifacts. That's configuring
Editer>Preferences>Display> both Activer OpenGL and Affichage vidéo: OpenGL
Everything is now normal, meaning great!

Jan Gruuthuse

So it was not a bug after all. User settings configuration was cause of your issue. Thank you for posting your findings.

Papou

If the whole of the system is perfect and Avidemux 2.5 is alright in ALL video modes and Avidemux 2.6 produce these artifacts in ALL video mode, it is obviously NOT a bad configuration issue but a PROBLEM somewhere in the code that's common to all modes but that is bypassed when the OpenGL option is used.  This is valuable information for a developer to locate where the problem is.  Unfortunately, no one will read this thread down to here through all those so-called plausible causes that I had to reject one by one, showing that they're irrelevant, with the result  that I got accused to not accept advices and to have come here to "pick a fight". It finally turns out that I simply was right and cooperative all along. Thanks for trying but not for accusations.