News:

--

Main Menu

Plug-ins DV Decoder?

Started by yami, December 01, 2014, 09:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yami

Hi, I was wondering, is there an option to ad in plug-ins, like, for instance a DV decoder (if there is one)? (V 2.6.8, r5092)

mean

yami

Sorry for coming back that late... Avidemux gives me this message: "Cannot find a demuxer for ../Test_vidi_capture.dv" (happens with all the .dv files from Vidi - http://www.mitzpettel.com/ little app, that can capture video input from firewire) Link to a very 'short' capture here: Test_vidi_capture.dv 22.3 MB  https://mega.co.nz/#!XhIwUDZL!IMSNkGajszOEg-qJNci9N107wg8txwj-x1A4oUZkUQQ (Its a few seconds long)
It would be cool, if you could figure, if there is a way to open this directly in Avidemux, because going via ffmpeg to have a ts or something the likes for telecine and further encoding is a bit messy. I am not sure, if ffmpeg just rearranges the data for mpeg ts or actually does something with the frames (if I use the "-vencode copy", something huge comes out, that has the path to the video data shot - not even VLC can open it). I distrust it when there are too many steps. The mpeg-ts files after ffmpeg are a tenth in size... I would prefer being able to skip the ffmpeg-step and cut/telecine and so on directly in Avidemux.

Jan Gruuthuse

There is a difference between DV Type 1 or DV Type 2. when getting from DV device some programs offer you the choice, see if it works with the opposite version of what you use now.
QuoteMicrosoft defines two standards for DV-AVI, known as Type 1 and Type 2.
    DV-AVI Type 1: a single stream is used to store audio and video.
    DV-AVI Type 2: there is one video stream, and one or more audio streams. File size will be bigger due to the extra stream information.

yami

Well, I actually am not sure, wether it is either DV1 or DV2... as there exists DV without 1 or 2 as container too... Which is the case here, I think. First, what VideoSpec gave me as information about the test file:
General
Complete name :.../Test_vidi_capture.dv
Format : DV
File size : 22.3 MiB
Duration : 6s 506ms
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 28.8 Mbps

Video
Format : DV
Duration : 6s 507ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 24.4 Mbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Chroma subsampling : 4:1:1
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Bottom Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.357
Stream size : 18.9 MiB (85%)

Audio
ID : 0
Format : PCM
Duration : 6s 506ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
Encoded bit rate : 0 bps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 1.19 MiB (5%)

Second, what I found in this link about DV: http://www.transcoding.org/transcode/transcode?Video_Codecs/DV
QuoteAs a container format, it contains video in DV (the codec) format, and audio in uncompressed PCM format.
I mean, the file ends with .dv ... there is no avi anywhere. Vidi doesn't give an option to save as anything else (it really is very basic) it just records the data coming out of the Canopus via Firewire as a .dv file.
Interpreting the message Avidemux gave me, I would say, it has nothing to process the .dv container in the first place (what happens with the DV and the PCM inside may be on a different leaf though)

AQUAR

Taking Mean's comment:
Look for a program that remuxes the raw video / audio tracks into the avi container.
Should be really quick as it is just a copy stream into a new container.

Avidemux can then decode these tracks for editing / recoding.

Google on .dv to .avi conversion!

Hopefully that will work.

yami

Thanks for the tip, guys. Converting into avi (with mpegstreamclip) works like a charm. I can convert lossless (which was my problem with ffmpeg, though, there always is the possibility, that I was too stupid to use it right...) and Avidemux likes it ^^ and because of the richer data basis, I can cut down the filters just to the very basic stuff.