News:

--

Main Menu

Matching pattern in telecine

Started by yami, January 29, 2015, 12:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yami

Hi, I am still gnawing on the telecine (http://avidemux.org/smuf/index.php/topic,16316.0.html, I got around the dv problem with a nasty combination of ffmpeg (to an overblown, by Avidemux unrecognized avi) and MKVmerge (to mkv, to get rid of the gibberish tracks ffmpeg put into the avi container besides the original video and audio tracks) but I decedided to make a seperate thread, as this poses a more general question too.
When checking the telecine in the preview frame by frame with debug on:
Quoteadm.addVideoFilter("telecide", "order=0", "back=2", "back_saved=2", "guide=0", "gthresh=0.000000", "post=0", "chroma=True", "vthresh=90.000000", "vthresh_saved=0.000000", "bthresh=0.000000", "dthresh=0.000000", "blend=True", "nt=10"
, "y0=0", "y1=0", "hints=1", "show=True", "debug=False")
I get a matching field order of ccpnc  (c=current, p=previous, n=next)
if the matching would be ccnpc, the outcome would actually really match with no combed and barely to be processed parts. I tried several settings. Sometimes, it makes 3 combed frames out of the two... all because it matches the wrong way around. If I chose 3:2 pulldown ove 'no strategy' it doesn't change anything in appearance but that it interprets the progressive and combed frames as genuinly interlaced and doesn't try to match.

Is there a way to override the matching to f.i. use the ccnpc pattern?

mean

That filter is incomplete, it will not work well

yami

Would there be some able and dedicated soul around to make this filter work better...? Pretty please...
(and if I may say another wish: A port of the Bifrost, to handle rainbows...)

yami

Ummm... it's my birthday today... And my wish is a working telecine with an override function in AviDemux XD -

Besides... Mean and all you guys who wrote and are working on Avidemux, I want to thank you :) You did and do an awesome job with the program (even though the very special-use telecine isn't working), because for even the not so general general use, the programm is easy to use and self explaining and over all the one and only able program between horribly complicated, non-self-explaining GUI-stuff like FinalCut on one side and totally abstract stuff like AviSynth and VapourSynth on the other side.

Thank you, guys!

AQUAR

Happy birthday - hopefully some wishes will come to pass.

AviSynth is not that abstract, but on a MAC OS it might be another issue in terms of usage.
I saw this http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=120468, maybe it might help.

yami

Thanks a lot, Aquar!
That did help a lot, because I finally got Wine working (and AviSynth and VirtualDub) - And VirtualDub actually did the trick: ^^ The inbuilt IVTC got the half frames neatly seperated and re-arranged. I saved as uncompressed avi there, because I wanted to have the other stuff done by AviDemux. Fancy: The file size grew 10-fold with the VirtualDub-treatment (meaning, a 5 GB file turned into a whopping 50 GB file). Avidemux opened it in a jiffy though (tsses take a lot longer), plus everything upside down ^^. But the vertical flip solved this, it is encoding nicely.

AQUAR

I still use ADM 2.5.6 on occasions when doing IVTC / Decimate.
Not sure if this Donald Graft port is incomplete here as well.

But just Yesterday I used it on a DivX source that looked like it was:
Film telecined to NTSC with 2:3 pulldown (probably hard telecined!),
Resampled for square equivalent PARs,
Encoded as pure progressive frames without applying any kind of deinterlacing method.
Meaning frames 3 and 4 out of each 5 frame set had combing artifacts.

I used decomb telecide filter with 2:3 pulldown strategy followed by the decomb decimate filter with 5 cycle strategy to dump the 1 duplicate per 5 frames. The "show" option shows a near 100% pattern match on the 2:3 pulldown strategy with top field first.
Result is zero combing at the new film frame rate (reduced file size!).
To me the result looks good but so does Yadif  or Tdeint deinterlacing.

Having avisynth and virtualdub in the video processing arsenal is giving You lots of options.