News:

--

Main Menu

Starting with x264

Started by TCmullet, February 26, 2015, 08:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCmullet

I've used AviDemux tons, doing gop-editing and video output mode=copy.  But I must go forward in life and begin encoding to H264 via x264.  I'm impressed with the guide to using x264.  But according to this:
http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=general:video_encoders
x264 is not built-in to AviDemux like some video encoders.  However, it also says "Avidemux builds for Microsoft Windows usually come bundled with the optional, external encoders (such as x264 or Xvid), too, so you don't have to install them separately."  That being the case (and that it said "usually"), how can I be sure that the dropdown "Mpeg4 AVC (x264)" is the latest x264 (for general release) and that I don't need to find a newer one than what's built in?  I realize one answer might be to be sure I'm on the latest AviDemux.  I installed AviDemux with this file: avidemux_2.6.8_win32.v2.exe.  But the "Help" menu item, "Plugins", Video Encoder tab shows that "mpeg4 AVC (x264)" is "01.00.00" which looks like a version number, and which looks more like a "default edition" not the current edition.  Is there a newer X264 encoder for AviDemux?  And if not so, but later there comes one, how would we go about installing it in place of the one that's in there now??  I can't find instructions anywhere about this, including in the AviDemux GUI.  (Sorry if they were there or somewhere else and I missed them.)

lenildosb

hi friend TCmullet, I wonder if you can cut the commercial of videos using the mode to copy video and audio, because I'm not getting cut commercial of youtube videos!!
help me!!!

TCmullet

Quote from: lenildosb on February 27, 2015, 12:12:14 AM
hi friend TCmullet, I wonder if you can cut the commercial of videos using the mode to copy video and audio, because I'm not getting cut commercial of youtube videos!!
help me!!!
Well, while your question is off the point of this topic, I did say I was "doing gop-editing and video output mode=copy", so I'll respond.  To cut cleanly, you must cut only at gop-points, that is, on a GOP (group of pictures) boundary.  When you navigate with only the 5th and 6th blue buttoms (or alternatively the down and up arrows), you jump to the beginning of the next or prior GOP.  You make your starting or ending marks at those points (making 2 points) for the deletion.

Most of my experience is with M2TS files captured with the Hauppauge Colossus capture card, which (at least mine) starts a new GOP (or Intra Frame) every 1/2 second (15 frames).  Therefore with each edit, I have to decide whether to leave 1 or 2 bits of the commercial break in or snip out 1 or 2 bits of the program content.  (Subjective judgment call by me.)  In past, I always erred on leaving bits in, but lately I've sometimes erred the other way.

If you're getting files elsewhere (downloading from YT or whatever), only you know whether Intra Frames are anywhere close to where you want them to be.  They could be hundreds of frames apart.  I have tried cutting within a GOP, and it works, but is visually messy for the duration of that GOP, as you've destroyed the ability for the rest of the GOP's frames to be recreated.  (Which is not bad if each GOP is only 1/2 second as in my case.)

poutnik

Quote from: TCmullet on February 26, 2015, 08:45:23 PMIs there a newer X264 encoder for AviDemux?  And if not so, but later there comes one, how would we go about installing it in place of the one that's in there now?? 

X264 encoder is integral, even if modular part of Avidemux (ADM), including ADM Windows port. It does not gets installed separately ( unles you are developer, trying new compilation), nor ADM relies on eventual Windows system-wide installed encoder.

If you want newer encoder, install newer ADM builds, like nighly builds - take as beta version.

http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win32/  Preferred, updated more often, requires 64bit windows
http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win32/  the onky choice if you use 32bit windows

poutnik

Quote from: lenildosb on February 27, 2015, 12:12:14 AM
help me!!!

What is format of these videos, according to Mediainfo or similar utility ?
As commertial cut at I frames  of H264 based videos is routine operation in ADM.