News:

--

Main Menu

Smart Copy

Started by douche, March 10, 2015, 05:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

douche

Until version 2.5.4 avidemux had a handy feature called 'Smart Copy' which was used to cut the video in points without keyframe, reconstructing them only in that area.
This feature made it unique compared to other software to cut video files, why this feature there isn't in new versions?
Forgive my English I used an automatic translation

Jan Gruuthuse

avidemux 2.6 is not a frame editor as such. avidemux 2.6 is time based and cannot do some frame specific operations as it could in the 2.5 flavour.

from the 2.5 era:
QuoteIf your file uses MSMPEG-4 (DivX(nbsp);-)(nbsp)3) or MPEG-4 video, you can use smart copy mode. Smart copy will leave most frames unchanged, but re-encode the part that lost its reference images with a fixed quantizer. So in our example, frames ab and nop would remain unchanged, while frames jkl would be re-encoded to use a different reference frame. Smart copy will ask you for a value for the quantizer to use(nbsp)(ndash) 4 or 5 is generally OK.
source: avidemux wiki

douche

I have a file codified with DX50 (divx codec) with avidemux 2.5 the cut is ok, but in the version 2.6 it gives the messagge: "The video is in copy mode but the cut points are not on keyframes. The video will be saved but there will corruption at cut point(s). Do you want to continue anyway?".
Why don't restore this function?

Jan Gruuthuse

My understanding of this, extremely basic explanation: avidemux 2.6 flavour has no knowledge of the needed (real) frames for this to work. It looks like the time nor the resources are there to rework/remake avidemux 2.6 to do this.
Use the working avidemux 2.5 for these videos. You can have both installed/working on the same computer.

I could be misunderstanding/mistaken, after all I'm only a user. In that case: surely the developer(s) could tell/notify if this would be otherwise, time permitting.

zakk

Quote from: douche on March 10, 2015, 06:13:53 PMmessagge: "The video is in copy mode but the cut points are not on keyframes.
Do you manage to put your A&B markers on I-Frames (with the double arrows)?

douche

Quote from: zakk on March 11, 2015, 07:50:07 AMDo you manage to put your A&B markers on I-Frames (with the double arrows)?

Yes, sure.