HEVC h.265 - incredible! Any good tutorials for even more advanced tweaking?

Started by digitaltoast, September 03, 2015, 11:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitaltoast

Avidemux 2.6.10 150902_cfb97605224)
System: Windows 10 Pro. Intel i5 4690k CPU @ 3.50GHz. 8GB RAM.

Thought I'd try HEVC h.265 now it's been fixed in the new nightly.

I had a 10 minute 1280x720 mp4 video which came straight from my camera at 796Mb.
I set it compressing on "slow" mode at single pass, q25.

Yes, it was slow. 28 minutes - but wow! I couldn't believe it - my video had gone from 796Mb to 17.5Mb. And the quality was pretty darn good!
That said, there wasn't much motion - it was just someone talking on a podium. But it was more than acceptable.

I still can't get over that filesize, though. 17.5Mb. For 10 minutes of HD video.

Thanks, Mean! My hard drive is going to love you.

So now I have about 800Gb of various "raw" footage which I'd like to archive, but might not need again.

I was wondering if there was any good comprehensive tutorial to help me squeeze the most out of h.265 on Avidemux, for each type of scene?

Encode speed doesn't matter - I can leave this going all night, every night if need be. But to be able to to batch encode all this "spare" footage would be great, but getting those presets right really matters! Thanks.

(Incidentally, I found it didn't work with the mp4v2 muxer, but in the regular muxer it was great!)

Jan Gruuthuse

Make 1 minute sample videos of common content you have.
Use default settings, see what is acceptable for you. Seek only tweak for scenes you don't find acceptable.
I've not come across proposed tweak settings (sport, ...), yet, for h265. Most of this is personal perception, original source of video and used hardware for playback.
Such default avidemux h265 re-encoded sample, you can find here: 3sat HD H264 to HEVCx265 720p 14.9 MB download, original recording mpeg-ts 68.8 MB. Average reduction 4.6 times.

digitaltoast

Thanks. Just one point about your video there, @Jan - it has 4 audio tracks. If I simply remux (not re-encode) using 1 of the 4 identical tracks, it reduces the size to under 10mb. :)

Jan Gruuthuse

I'm aware of that, these are 4 audio track original from the transmission. I just reorder these, so AC3 is track 0. No more fideling with the remotes to switch to 5.1 dolby ;)
See 2.6 audio track switching in job.py