News:

--

Main Menu

2.6.911 - Error too short

Started by Yisc76, January 04, 2016, 11:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yisc76

Recently I discoverd this great tool, which finaly enabled me to cutt HD television recordings I had on my pc for some time.
Recordings are in TS-format and most of them can be cutt without any problems.
However, I do have a couple of files, which can't be cutt and is throwing the "too short" error.
It doesn't make a difference in which format I save the files (TS, MKV) as it's always giving the same error.

I've attached the Avidemux logfile
Orginal file is in TS format
Video output is set to Copy
Audio output is set to Copy
Output format is set to Mkv Muxer

Version of Avidemux used is the latest stable version as well as the latest beta.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jan Gruuthuse

Recordings source: dvb-t(2), dvb-s(2), FTA?
Operating system?
used CPU/GPU?
SD or HD video? Format?

Yisc76

Recording source: DVB Viewer
Operating system pc 1: Windows XP (x86) (this is a multi-purpose server, also being used for television recordings in both SD and HD)
Operating system pc 2: Windows 7 (x64)
Type of recordings: HD video
Format of recordings: MPEG2-TS Video format

Just to make sure, most of the recordings can be cutt and saved using Avidemux, but every now and then, there's one that won't go and is throwing the error.

Jan Gruuthuse

Do you have the same issue on recent recordings?

If you could upload a sample video with these issues (10 - max 60 seconds in duration)
Use a free dropbox account or similar webservice (free public access, without registration to download your uploaded video) thank you.
Time permitting: dev(s) could have a look @ the video and tell what is going on exactly

mean

Do you always cut out a few seconds at the start of the recording ?
If not, it could be worth trying that

Yisc76

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 04, 2016, 03:29:15 PM
Do you have the same issue on recent recordings?

If you could upload a sample video with these issues (10 - max 60 seconds in duration)
Use a free dropbox account or similar webservice (free public access, without registration to download your uploaded video) thank you.
Time permitting: dev(s) could have a look @ the video and tell what is going on exactly

Yes, I do have the issue with one of the recent recordings (made 01-01-2016) as well.
Sadly, all those records are so big (this recent one is 8.77 GB), that it would be hard to upload them anyware.
Will see if I can make some short test-recordings and hope one of them has the same issue.

Yisc76

Quote from: mean on January 04, 2016, 03:37:33 PM
Do you always cut out a few seconds at the start of the recording ?
If not, it could be worth trying that

Yes I do.
I've also take some margin at the start and at the end of each recording, so these are cutt off, as well as all the commercial blocks in between :)

Yisc76

Quote from: Yisc76 on January 04, 2016, 07:04:57 PM
Will see if I can make some short test-recordings and hope one of them has the same issue.

I did a series of test-recordings (5 tests) and 2 of them have the "too short" issue.
I've uploaded them to Dropbox and shared them:

File 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oi7qhm0a5kcxhz0/test_1_20160105_1225.ts?dl=0
File 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhe1ofm52hicw9t/test_2_20160105_1230.ts?dl=0

Jan Gruuthuse

cut from 1st test: weightwatchers
cut from 1st test: HollandsNieuwe
Seems to be working without any problem?
What exactly do you do with the video?

Yisc76

I load them, cutt off the start, cutt off the commercial breaks, cutt off the end and then try to save it.
After some times, the saving stops and the error "too short" is displayed.
As said, most files are working without any problems, but occasionaly, this happens.

Jan Gruuthuse

see this reply 1st: when that happens : ....

When this happens, try computer shut down, wait 5 seconds, start computer, remove the idx2 files from the folder holding the source videos.
Try with same video again, if it works this time, could be a local issue, driver not released properly, memory, ...
It does sometimes happen here to, not often, been looking for the issue, never found it. I can't reproduce this at will, it happens randomly.

Lets see what happens and take it from there.

mean

when that happens :
After it has crashed, at next start up it will ask to load the crash file
Please do it, and save the project as foo.py
Normally when loading foo.py dans saving , it will crash everytime

And then please provide foo.py and the file needed to reproduce

It is the most efficient way, as the crash can be caused by something that looks harmess to you or neglectable
but we could spend a lot of time reproducing it

For example, the problem might only happen on windows

Yisc76

I've just done a lot of testing and am able to reproduce the issue 10 out 10 following these steps:

• Start Avidemux
  • Set output format to Mkv Muxer
  • Load: test_1_20160105_1225.ts
  • Drag slider to about 00:00:03.400 (doesn't make a difference if buttons are used or not, to find the right spot)
  • Set marker B
  • Cut
  • Save the file and error "Too short" comes up immediately

When you leave the output format to the default setting "Avi Muxer" the files saves just fine.
When you drag te slider to 00:00:05.000 the file saves okay with Mkv Muxer as well.
So it looks like the issue is happening when cutting off a short piece at the beginning of a video.

Jan Gruuthuse

When cutting, you need to cut on keyframe!

When you selected a cutting point with slider: from keyboard
- 1 x up arrow (move forward to next keyframe)
- 1 x down arrow (move backward to previous keyframe, not your selected cutting point)
- mark [ B]
-  [Ctrl] [X] (cut)

Do you still have the issue then?

Yisc76

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 08, 2016, 11:30:21 AM
When cutting, you need to cut on keyframe!

When you selected a cutting point with slider: from keyboard
- 1 x up arrow (move forward to next keyframe)
- 1 x down arrow (move backward to previous keyframe, not your selected cutting point)
- mark [ B]
-  [Ctrl] [X] (cut)

Do you still have the issue then?

Just tested and the issue is exactly the same when I use your method.