News:

--

Main Menu

Support for Frame Sequences?

Started by Meloware, January 12, 2016, 09:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meloware

Is there still support for frame sequences, as input?
I am producing digital videos directly from 16mm movies. My final archive is in the form of jpg frame sequences. This gives me the greatest flexibility in future edits and quality. The images are named as "composite-001.jpg, composite-002.jpg, etc."

Avidemux simply won't load the sequence, using any Windows build I have tried. (the latest being the beta 2.6.911). Is this feature still supported?
If it is, could someone explain where I might be going wrong? Loading the first image of a numbered sequence just gives me a black window.

My only alternative (for now) is to first produce an AVI raw, and this eats additional 100s of Gigabytes out of my hard drive. That's a pretty expensive step, just to be able to transcode the project into a MP4. Thanks for reading.
(Windows 7, I7 w/24Gb memory)

mean

It should work
Could you attach one of your jpeg ?

Meloware

Quote from: mean on January 13, 2016, 06:14:05 AM
It should work
Could you attach one of your jpeg ?
Sure - the image is too big to attach, so here is a link:
http://meloware.com/tmp2/composite-2117.jpg

mean

There are 2 problems
* One is very easy to fix, one trivial change
* the 2nd one is a little bit more complicated, i.e. you are using greyscale jpeg

Meloware

Understood..

1. Frame sequences must be in RGB, not Grayscale. I did not find this in the documentation.
2. I renamed the frame sequence, separating the sequence number with an underscore, instead of using a hyphen. "composite-001.jpg" doesn't work, "composite_001.jpg" does work.

The desired frame rate can be set with the Video >> Filters >>  Resample FPS option.

There was a lot of black and white film, in 1937. All my archival sequences are in 16 bit grayscale,  although I am using production frames to produce the final digital video, which could be in any format.
Imagemagick will allow me to convert the existing files to RGB. The resulting filesize difference is trivial. My final cropped and stabilized images are being produced in Blender, which allows me to render any kind of image type I desire. I guess I can render as RGB jpegs, in the future. Thanks for helping.

mean

I fixed both
You'll have a build tomorrow

mean

Meloware

Works great! I didn't realize you were willing to rewrite code. I can use Avidemux now to review my frame sequences. It now works well even with my larger format image frames.
I should also mention that the previous release fixed the HEVC (x265) 2 pass crash, and that encoder now produces beautiful results. Thanks for the support of a great program.

Meloware

I would like to thank the supporters of this forum and the Avidemux developers for such a valuable tool. I think it is fantastic that you would be willing to re-code the package to address my particular problem. I have been developing a "poor man's" system for 16mm movie film restoration, and Avidemux has been critical in rendering a finished digital video. I work with B&W and color frame sequences, combined with PCM wav audio. One project is nearly a half hour long, requiring the use of a frame sequence of over 30,000 HD frames. The program is fast and reliable, and I now experience no problems producing digital video of this length.
Please allow me to link to examples of my proud work, of which you are a part.
http://industrialhistory.org/education/videos/
The first 4 videos are examples of my 16mm films, which required the use of Avidemux. Thank you for the tool, and its ongoing support!
Sincerely,
Chris Clawson (Meloware)
The Museum of Our Industrial Heritage, Greenfield, Massachusetts, USA
http://industrialhistory.org