News:

--

Main Menu

More Frame Sequence Confusion

Started by Meloware, January 15, 2016, 04:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meloware

My sequence has 15,862 B&W JPEG frames, with the first named 'wed2_00001.jpg'. Just more than half of the frames load. If I take the unloaded frames, move them to another directory, and load them as a new video, even fewer frames play.
Why doesn't the entire sequence load?
Am I against a bug, or am I doing something embarrassingly wrong? Can I manage an hour's worth of 1Mb jpeg frames?

build avidemux_2.6.911_r160113_win64

Jan Gruuthuse

memory limitations? RAM
15862 times the file size of the jpeg. (at least 15 GB) Keep in mind jpg is compressed format
most likely you would at least need 2.5x times this space (37,5 GB) for working files.

These are only estimations, if an idx2 (index) file was created you need to delete this one, most likely in the source directory.
I would try with 1/3 rd of the jpg's (5287)
create clip one, then next 2/3, create clip two, then remaining, create clip 3
now join clip 1, 2 and 3

from time to time use temp cleaner on your system, seek advice if no experience with this (like ccleaner)
On a decent system i7-3770K, 32 GB ram and couple TB hdd, I can easily work with 35 GB video HD video (1080i/720p). Do note I'm running Ubuntu 14.02.3 64-bit, and can't speak for Windows

mean

What is the trigger for the problem ?
As soon as you reach a large number of files ?
The file names ?

Meloware

This problem may have had several issues, including it being late at night. Another was that I found my frame sequence was screwed up. Still, there may be some other "strangeness", which clears after restarting the program. Please forgive my premature post and give me some time to understand if I am experiencing a real issue. I will report again, once I have a repeatable scenario.

Memory almost certainly not a problem. My system has 24GB available, and AVIDemux only wants about 4GB to manage a 16,000 frame sequence (1MB/frame).

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: Meloware on January 16, 2016, 12:32:27 AM
Memory almost certainly not a problem. My system has 24GB available, and AVIDemux only wants about 4GB to manage a 16,000 frame sequence (1MB/frame).
Yeah, but file size = 16.000 x 1 MB = 16 GB (1 MB/each frame), you're processing these frames?
and 4 GB memory to manage.
shut down non essential programmes be fore starting avidemux.

Meloware

I have no idea how Avidemux uses memory. I would be interested in knowing. I am able to transcode raw AVIs and now frame sequences of this size. The 4GB I mention is from reading the usage "speedometers" on my desktop. Generally, only about 20% of my memory gets used, although my CPU red lines (any possible future use, for my nice GPU?). It is actually gratifying to see my I7 run at the capacity it was designed for. I have had no problem transcoding 10 minute 1080p videos out of Avidemux. Thanks to this last build, I can make videos directly from B&W jpeg frame sequences. Previously, I first needed to make avi raws, thereby doubling the disc storage requirement. These were unplayable 80GB AVIs, yet AVIDemux could easily transcode them! I am presuming the program only brings into memory what it needs, at any particular moment, and spools the rest to disc. Am I close?

mean

The problem could be linked to the # of opened files
There *is* a limit, by default it is around 1000 on linux , dont know on win32

mean

There is a small bug, dont know if that's related
If a file fails to load, avidemux will probably crash