News:

--

Main Menu

Unable to open/start .avi file.

Started by Wayne.Sobieski, March 03, 2016, 01:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne.Sobieski

I am a new user and just loaded Avidemux. From my PC, I can open a .wmv file and a .avi file (from camera) but I can not open a .avi file moved from my security camera.
I am on windows 7 and can open all three files using Windows Media Player.
Suggestions??
A file is attached if it is not too big(16 sec).  I can build a smaller on if needed

Thanks

Wayne.Sobieski

Did some more testing with another editor and got the following error:

Couldnââ,¬â,,¢t locate decompressor for format ââ,¬Ëœh264ââ,¬â,,¢ (unknown)
Need a video for Windows(VFW) compatible codec to
Decompress video.  DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows
Media Player, are not suitable.

I am not capable of fixing so I will have to wait for an update, if it is ever fixed.
Fell free to email if you have a specific question.

Thanks

Jan Gruuthuse

Not seeing the attached video. This site won't accept big size files (Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 192KB, maximum individual size 128KB)
You could upload your video to a webservice. Average size +- 50 MB, Average duration +- 10 seconds.

I (c/w)ould probably help developers, if you state brand and model of the used security camera.

ps:- Use a free dropbox account, mega or similar webservice (free public access, without registration to download your uploaded video) thank you.

AQUAR

Not quite sure what the OP is having trouble with.

Seems to say that .avi files recorded from a security camera doesn't work with ADM.
Seems to be a .avi file that holds compressed H.264 video.

Best provide a sample and or the stats from MediaInfo.

If you want to try something: remux the media file contents into the MKV container using MKVtoolnix (free program).
A quick google on MKVtoolnix will find this program for you. 
MKV is a better container than AVI for H.264 video.