News:

--

Main Menu

Started by mean, January 29, 2016, 09:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQUAR

@ efa

Don't know where you get your stats from.
Windows 7 is still the most liked desktop operating system and over half are 32 bit.
Vista has proportionally an even larger 32 bit user base but its not liked (small user base). 
And ditto again for XP except this is now an deprecated and unsupported operating system (ever decreasing user base).

Lap top situation is a bit different eg most don't run XP.

I do understand where you are coming from, I still use xvid a lot and have XP as well (as an occasional needed OS on account of hardware/software that only runs on XP).

Realistically, support for XP is going to be an ever decreasing priority/need as is support for older codecs like xvid.

Solution (not specifically directed at You!) is to keep that which works well on these aging systems eg ADM 2.5.6 for XP and xvid (if you need all the xvid options).
And move on with the current by accepting that eventually you will lose the battle for backward functionality with older stuff.

Maybe say XP 64 bit support only but requires usp10.dll v1.626 (link to dll repository)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jan Gruuthuse

git clone https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2.git

efa

attached the simple patch to let compile GTK gui, in git format

efa

Quote from: AQUAR on February 06, 2016, 03:31:06 AM
Don't know where you get your stats from.
OK I admit this is my personal experience only, as friends switched to 64 bit OS with Win7 and on work PCs the ICT guy do the same. I never saw a PC with Win7 32 bit, anyway this is not a representative sample, probably is valid only for my neighborhood, so Italy.
At home, I keep an XP virtual box, only because it is 4 GB small (while friends say Win7 is 19 GB), and I use that only to test my cross compiled apps.
2.5.6 is the last version that work on XP? I never saw on download mirrors, where it is noticed?

douche

Quote from: efa on February 06, 2016, 10:29:15 PM
2.5.6 is the last version that work on XP?
No, the latest version which works on XP is 2.6.11, but you need to download usp10.dll v1.626.6001 (32-bit or 64-bit). And the latest version which works on XP without downloading anything is 2.6.8.

efa

Quote from: douche on February 08, 2016, 01:59:52 AM
No, the latest version which works on XP is 2.6.11, but you need to download usp10.dll v1.626.6001 (32-bit or 64-bit). And the latest version which works on XP without downloading anything is 2.6.8.
THKs. Should be reported on dowload pages