News:

--

Main Menu

Bad File Association 2.6.11 Final Win7 (64-bit)

Started by Kevin, February 22, 2016, 09:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Posted this in a different section and got no replies, so perhaps that was the wrong section. My apologies if re-posting it here violates policy. I'll try to remove it in the other section.

Just installed 2.6.11 and when I try to right-click on either an .mpg or an .mp4 file and added Avidemux to the list of programs, it shows me under Recommended Programs an icon for Avidemux 2.6.11, but choosing it associates the file type with Avidemux_jobs.exe instead of Avidemux.exe. If I do the registry hack to remove that incorrect association and then go back to right-clicking an .mpg file and try Browse to select the correct executable, nothing happens and no program is added to the "Open With" context menu. I have also tried copying and pasting the full file path of the executable both with an without quotation marks and get the same result of nothing happening at all.

In case it matters, I also have installed in a separate folder v2.5.6 and that presents itself as a "Recommended Program" [the executable is apparently "avidemux2.exe"] and adds itself just fine to the "Open With" list.

Thank you for an excellent program that I've happily used for many years in many versions.

AQUAR

AFAIK there is no default association between ADM and media file types.
User action defines those associations.
That icon in the recommended section of the open with list is there by way of a previous user choice.

What happens when select "open with" and you browse to the correct ADM executable to add it as the preferred program?

Kevin

Quote from: AQUAR on February 22, 2016, 11:50:46 PM
What happens when select "open with" and you browse to the correct ADM executable to add it as the preferred program?

As I stated in my message, nothing happens--literally nothing. No new icon appears under "Recommended Programs"
and the file is not "Opened With" anything. I don't think I could have put the false association there, as the only thing
I did was uninstall 2.6.9 (which had avidemux.exe properly associated with ".mpg" and ".VRO" and install 2.6.11, which
I also uninstalled and reinstalled, all with the same result.

AQUAR

AFAIK this is not an avidemux issue but an issue with your OS.
But just the sake of it - I tried on my windows 64 PC and find that the associations stick just fine.

Most likely you have a mixed up .mpg file association in the registry that continues to point to avidemux_jobs.exe instead of the real avidemux executable.
I'd try to do a registry search for the file associations linking to avidemux_jobs and deleting these entries.
But meddling in the registry is not recommended unless you know what you are doing.
Maybe uninstall all ADM versions and run a registry cleaner program to remove bad keys.