News:

--

Main Menu

Fps problem(motion stutter, jerky movements)

Started by maximillan, March 24, 2016, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maximillan

Hello I'm new to this site. But I have been using avidemux 2.6 for a month now. I trying to encode a DVD which is 29.97fps originally at 2:03.221 original time. My first encode I just let avidemux do the work at mp4 H264 output, avidemux default fps output was at 59.9fps. Quality and everything was great but the only problem was the movement from action scenes and panning scenes the movement or result was jerky or stuttering. My next reencode try I changed the fps settings through filters I manually set it at 25fps movement was smooth no stutter or jerking but the resulting movie from 2:03.221 got longer to 2:27.411 so the original audio became so out of sync. Third experiment with resampling fps, I tried setting it with same as source to 29.97fps but sadly stuttering came back. I am wondering if I manually try change fps putting source at 29.97fps and setting destination at 29.97fps if I either get a longer movie time than the original or will stuttering happen. I'm just wonering how to set up avidemux to just copy the original source file's fps.
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated thanks. :D

Jan Gruuthuse

DVD use MPEG2 video codec, you should not encode dvd in h264? If I understand you correctly? Creating video for dvd inclusion?

maximillan

I was trying to save old family DVDs to a media player just incase some discs get damaged. I had a few that got damaged over time.

Jan Gruuthuse

Copy video from dvd (vob) to hard disc. Try processing from hard disc.
If you got still the same issue, install avidemux 2.5.6 alongside 2.6. And use 2.5.6 to process your family videos.
This wont work with region protected dvd's.

maximillan

That's what I did I copied the vob files and muxed them into mkv before encoding. But I will try you suggestion on installing 2.5.6 thank you I hope this works👍

maximillan

Its not region protected DVD I burned those home movies into a blank verbatim dvd

Jan Gruuthuse

try vob directly into avidemux 2.5.6 without in between step mkv muxing.

maximillan

Okay I will try that and see what happens thanks.

AQUAR

The stuttering might be because the home video is interlaced and needs better de-interlacing.
At the moment I think you are just weaving fields together and ADM is giving an incorrect frame rate.

Purely speculative on my part but try a de-interlacing filter like Yadif and see if it makes a difference.

Jan Gruuthuse

Or just use [Copy] for both Video Output and Audio Output with Output Format [Mkv Muxer].

maximillan

AQUAR- I'm not sure if the video is interlaced or not but I will definitely look on it and give it a try I just waiting for the encode experiments I'm trying now to be done and see if it's okay or not based on earlier suggestions. But if it does not work out well I'll into your suggestion thanks.👍

maximillan

Jan Gruuthuse- muxing would have the file still in vob yes it's easy and tried it no problems with the result, but I was hoping to save it in mp4 form on my hd.☺

Jan Gruuthuse

x264:
Could likely be in this case that Quality is to high when Constant Rate Factor (Single Pass) is used, low number (20, ...), increase the number (lower quality).
Mark 1 minute of your video for testing, preferable where you noticed the stuttering. Try 23 to 27 and see if this improves.

maximillan

Okay thanks Jan I will try to increase crf to 30 usually it ranges from 20 to 25 from previous encodes. I will also try 23 or 27 but 25 is out of the question I tried it and it dramatically increased the total play time of the video compared to the original one.

Jan Gruuthuse

|-- x264 Configuration --|
[General]
Rate Control
Encoding Mode [Constant Rate Factor (Single Pass) ]

Should not influence playing time.