News:

--

Main Menu

Windows 10 - no Open File/Save dialog [Solved]

Started by Faiakes, April 24, 2016, 11:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Gruuthuse

Sometimes, you can't even install a second os like ubuntu on your desktop/laptop due to restrictions implemented by UEFI bios (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) restrictions implemented by the producent.

AQUAR

Its why I always assemble my own PC from carefully selected parts.
No multi boot issues then with UEFI or BIOS.

Still prefer BIOS as its more familiar and also because I have no need for the features that UEFI brings.

IMHO Faiakes is on the bleeding edge of win 10 and that won't always be beneficial to the why/how you use your computer.
It will be interesting to see if this issue gets resolved.

Maybe try running avidemux with an super admin account (net user administrator /active:yes) and see if it works then.
Maybe try running avidemux in windows 7 compatibility mode.

Faiakes

Quote from: AQUAR on May 14, 2016, 12:42:54 PM
Maybe try running avidemux with an super admin account (net user administrator /active:yes) and see if it works then.
Maybe try running avidemux in windows 7 compatibility mode.
Is that with Win+R and then paste that command?

I have...Win7 nothing...Win8 nothing...even Vista....

I have checked permissions and Avidemux has full write access for all types of users.

AQUAR

No, its using the command prompt (with admin rights!) to set up the "admin plus" account.
After which you have to logout and log back into that "admin plus" account.

Never tried it myself - just something I read for getting install executable's on win10 to run when nothing else works (including the "normal admin" account!).
Thought it would be interesting to see if some permission issue exists but is allowed with such an account.

Faiakes

Quote from: AQUAR on May 15, 2016, 10:14:42 AM
No, its using the command prompt (with admin rights!) to set up the "admin plus" account.
After which you have to logout and log back into that "admin plus" account.

IT WORKS !!!

So, what is the difference then between a local admin account and a 'super' admin account that Avidemux needs to overcome?

AQUAR

Microsoft taking control!!!!!!!!!!?
If it was me I'd investigate the beefed up "security" measures.

Purely speculative:
The implementation of the open file calling function is probably being hamstrung by win 10 for security reasons.
If that's the case the cross compiler used to build avidemux might catch up with any new requirements for that function (sooner or later).

Don't stay logged on as a super admin.

Jan Gruuthuse

Can you make that setting by right clicking on the required executables? run as administrator?

AQUAR

@ Jan

I don't think that will work.
This super admin account is not a normal user defined admin account.

Only came across this "trick" on a site where they were discussing how to run installation binaries that fail to execute even with all administrative rights.

Windows 10 is a continually evolving OS and morphs by way of with forced updates for the typical home based user.
It seems to be going down the path of only running certified programs.
(Certified by Microsoft or by business doing self certification for their own programs).

There must a myriad of programs that windows 10 will eventually refuse to execute (maybe ADM will be one of them).

I despise any service that data mines or takes control on protective pretence (stupid users that need to be told what they need!).

Faiakes

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on May 16, 2016, 04:32:51 AM
Can you make that setting by right clicking on the required executables? run as administrator?
I already have done all that.
I even dived into permission and have taken complete control of the entire folder but not luck.

Jan Gruuthuse

Is that not part of the problem having your programmes on D:\? I know in the past you could, done similar to save ssd ageing.
should you not update to avidemux Mai 8 2016? http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win64/

Faiakes

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on May 16, 2016, 04:05:16 PM
Is that not part of the problem having your programmes on D:\? I know in the past you could, done similar to save ssd ageing.
should you not update to avidemux Mai 8 2016? http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win64/
Thanks Jan

I did but more importantly it gave me an idea.

I run cmd with Admin Priviliges > secpol.msc  >  Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Run All administrators in Admin Approval Mode > Disabled
(This may require Windows 10 Admin templates installed)

I don't have to switch to super Admin to get Avidemux to work.
Avidemux works from both the C and the D drive.

However, now my Start button does not work  >:(

EDIT: That wasn't it. It was something else and after re-installing windows I have yet to replicate what I did.

AQUAR

Well, that narrows the issue down to the differences between win 10 UAC and win 7 UAC.

Start button not working is a common complaint on windows 10.
Just google on that and you will find lots of ideas on how to fix that.

Its been an interesting post that may well serve to help other ADM/win10 users .

Faiakes

I wasn't able to fix the start button so I reinstalled, and the above trick doesn't work.

It was something else I did and I can't figure out what  >:(  >:(  >:(

AQUAR

Faiakes

Quote from: AQUAR on May 18, 2016, 01:39:43 PM
Does the "super admin" still work?
Yes, that still works.

I asked the head of IT at work for some tips.
I'll try a few more things out today.