no mkv output with 2160p video

Started by terminaltrip421, April 27, 2016, 02:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminaltrip421

Hi, I'm as new to the program as I am to this forum account. I'm also a layman. I've only made a couple of clips so far, one from a source files that was a mkv x264 encode at 1080p (the program is fantastic in its simplicity, speed and ability) and it went swimmingly. hot on the heels of that success I thought I would see if the program could do 2160p video as well.

it loaded up without a problem and I scanned through it for a segment to test the copying on and gave it a try. I got "cannot open mkv muxer" when trying mkv as the output file type. I subsequently tried it with avi as an output file type and it worked. the only issue with the outcome was that when checking the media info in media player classic that under General it lists the overall bit rate at 1k Kb/s under Video it does show a seemingly correct 16Mb/s though. 

at the very least it's nice that I can clip 2160p video, being a layman I want to make sure there's no potential loss doing it into avi though and it would also just be nice if mkv were an option seeing as it looks like the program can handle 4k video, if possible.

thank you for the program, forum and any help you can provide.

Jan Gruuthuse

Not exactly clear what steps you did take?

420 MB sample 2160p (hevc) @4samples.com: Elysium 2013 2160p ââ,¬â€œ 1 Minute Sample Footage
With this sample I could clip a fragment and save this with Mkv Muxer.
Avidemux 2.6.12 (yymmdd_c03b8a85fbc) 64 MB saved clip @dropbox: 2160ptest1.mkv

Do take note this wont play correctly in stock VLC.
Quote*NOTE* This file is encoded using x265 and will require a player such as MPC-BE to play them, It will not work in VLC.
source: 4samples.com

Can you provide more info: your OS, 32/64-bit, used version of avidemux?

terminaltrip421

64 bit windows 8.1 the version of avidemux I used was 2.6.12 downloaded just yesterday or the day before

I neglected to mention the source 2160p file was x264 encoded

Jan Gruuthuse

2160p x264 should work equally well:@ YouTube: Avidemux Demo: TVE 4k sample cut from mp4 to mkv

Avidemux 2.6.12 (yymmdd_c03b8a85fbc) 64 MB saved clip @dropbox: TVE4kx264.mkv 64 MB

source: TVE: TVE-4K Demo Ultra HD Barcelona

terminaltrip421

not sure if it would make a difference but it was a x264 mkv file

Jan Gruuthuse

No it should not make any difference. You did download/install avidemux_2.6.12_r160422_win64.exe from here http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win64/ ?

terminaltrip421

it was from here http://www.fosshub.com/Avidemux.html/avidemux_2.6.12_win64.exe (followed the avidemux.org link)

does that mean mine is out of date? the link you gave doesn't appear on avidemux.org for me

Jan Gruuthuse

install avidemux_2.6.12_r160422_win64.exe from link in previous post and let us know if it improves.

terminaltrip421

unfortunately not, an info box appears with a red circled X and "Muxer" "cannot open"

edit: so I am testing whether it's audio related (flac) and changed it from copy to encode and I got past the muxer problem but it killed the program ...is there a way to disable audio altogether or the like? rebooting the program to retry options.

Jan Gruuthuse

Menu Audio: Select Track: you should be able to see the tracks, try mp3 in [copy]

could be flac is not supported, have you tried with mkv from my dropbox? If that works?

terminaltrip421

okay cool. so it will work without the track enabled. trying to copy to mp3 I got "audio" "cannot setup audio encoder, make sure your stream is compatible with audio encoder (number of channels, bitrate, format)"

if need be I can always find another audio source for the video. might there be any other copy to suggestions you would have? the three I've tried are copy, AAC (Faac) and mp3 (lame). also I don't know what you meant by trying your dropbox.

I really, really appreciate all of your help. and if I had a question about a possible addition / change to the UI should I start a new thread for it? 

Jan Gruuthuse

You could use audacity: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
download and install
Windows
- Audacity 2.1.2 installer
Optional Downloads
Plug-ins and Libraries
- FFmpeg import/export library <- important you have this one installed (import and drag and drop)

After installation, start audacity, drag and drop original video on to audacity.
Then in audacity Export Audio and select MP3 as output format.

In avidemux Menu Audio: Select Track: you can then add/replace the existing audiotrack with mp3 track.