MPEG2-PS file(s) hit File Too Short in avidemux 2.6.12 on Mac OSX 10.11.2

Started by VideoJoe, May 19, 2016, 09:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VideoJoe

Help?  I'm new to avidemux.  Running avidemux 2.6.12 on a MacBook OSX 10.11.2.   I'm trying to cut up a bunch of 1-hour MPEG-2 captures from my original MiniDV home movie tapes...

I used an Adesso AV-200 (composite/USB) device on a Win7 PC to capture my MiniDV content into MPEG-2 file(s).
Each file is about 3.7 GB in size, representing about 1 hour of content.

After moving the source file(s) to my MacBook...

I open a source file (DV025.mpg) in avidemux, and it reports:
     VideoDecoder = "lavcodec  RGB"

I leave "Video Output = Copy" and
             "Audio Output (1 track(s)) = Copy"

I change "Output Format = Mpeg-PS Muxer(ff)"

Say I mark a 10-minute portion using the A(in)/B(out) boundary... I can usually "save video" (or "File/Save") DV025_scene_0xx.mpg and it's really quick, and SUCCESSFUL.

However, in most of the file(s) I work with, there's a scene or two where some sort of (?) irregularity causes the 'save' function to complain:

"Too short   The video has been saved but seems to be incomplete"
    ... followed by "Failed  File DV025_scene_0xx.mpg was NOT saved correctly."

I am left with the file DV025_scene_0xx.mpg at some length (say 4 minutes, 11 seconds) which is obviously not the complete portion I attempted to extract. 

Anyone know why this happens?  I've tried ensuring A and B are set on I-frame(s).  I've tried all sort of other mini-motions... but feels like I'm grabbing at straws.
If you can explain what's going on, perhaps even suggest how I can get past this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan Gruuthuse

Do you need "Mpeg-PS Muxer(ff)" this is a very restricted qua formats/codecs.
Do you have the same issue when using MKV muxer?

VideoJoe

I'm only trying to snatch scene-files from the original mpeg2-ps file.  That's why I'm 'chasing' mpeg-ps output.  I assume(d) this format would be easily dropped onto 'home DVD' mash-ups and able to be joined together end-to-end whenever desired.  I'd be open to (an)other format(s), but want, ultimately, to be able to use these extracted scene-files as the building blocks from which I assemble full length 'home DVD's.

I just tried "Output=Mkv Muxer" [with width=1280, width=720, and force-width=720]  all three attempts failed with the exact same "File Too Short" error.

Jan Gruuthuse

- When selecting [A ] and [ B] make certain you only select with up or down keyboard arrow, don't select with left or right arrow.
- Probably you have issues when going from digital (minidv) to Analogue in (AV-200) to digital.
Don't you have Firewire transfer (digital to digital) between minidv and your Mac? Avidemux can handle type-2 DV files at the moment.
see here: How do I simply import mini-DV content onto a Mac?