News:

--

Main Menu

AAC export

Started by RoadRanger, June 14, 2016, 07:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadRanger

I mostly video bands so often want to split off part or all of the AAC audio from my resultant MP4 files as a separate M4A file. Using Avidemux's "audio" "save" I'm told that it should be an AAC stream in a ADTS container but I haven't found any program (including Mediainfo and FFMPEG) that can work with this file? Obviously I can split off the the whole audio stream with FFMPEG but I often want to cut it up into individual songs so it would be ideal if I can do this somehow in Avidemux even if I have to use FFMPEG to put them in MP4 containers. Any suggestions?

Jan Gruuthuse

Use audacity: drag and drop the edited video on to its workspace. This extracts the audio, the wave representation should make it easier to find your audio cutting point.
audacity (windows requires audacity FFmpeg import/export library, found on Optional Downloads).
This all if I understood you correctly: extracting interesting audio parts for audio player?

RoadRanger

Mean just implied that the latest nightlies can do what I need - I'll try that tomorrow :) . I don't believe Audacity can do lossless "cutting" like Avidemux can do?

RoadRanger

Yes! "audio" "save" does produce a playable file now of container type ADTS that is easily converted to a .m4a file using FFMPEG, here's the contents of my batch file:
ffmpeg -i %1.adts -vn -c:a copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc %1.m4a

:)

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: RoadRanger on June 15, 2016, 08:46:56 PM
Mean just implied that the latest nightlies can do what I need - I'll try that tomorrow :) . I don't believe Audacity can do lossless "cutting" like Avidemux can do?
I believe it imports to kind of raw internal format on export it is re-encoded, then it depends on the export settings and the chosen format.

AQUAR

@ RoadRanger

It always helps if you provide system information with any issue.
If you had included the version of ADM you were using to extract the aac audio - then we might just have said "try the latest nightly for aac/adts".

alonectorch

I'm uh...painfully new and I'd like to know how to save only the audio from an mp4 that has the audio as aac. I saved it successfully but I guess there's no container or something cos nothing can play it.

AQUAR

Try a nightly instead of a release version.
The container for the saved aac audio is ADTS and should be playable in various players (like VLC).