x264 encoding results in "Cannot set up codec. Bitrate too low?

Started by steelhoof, August 12, 2016, 08:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhoof

I created this vid clip on a Canon t5 camera.  By default the vid format is MOV.

I tried to convert to an x264 file,and the evil error message show.

I decide to convert to an AVI, and that goes swimmingly, except for chromatic aberration.  Moving on, I reduce the image size, and I get a clean file.

Given the need for an x264 format file because Twitter, I try to convert the freshly made smaller AVI file. Made with the same session, or with a fresh session as it was created under, and I still get the codec error.

I try adjusting the bitrate up or down, no good,

Avidemux 64 bit 2.6.10

Win 7 64 bit.

Jan Gruuthuse

Jan Gruuthuse

Can you describe your workflow (steps)
starting from source video, what would the target video be?
I found 2 Full HD Sample Videos shot with Canon T5 can shoot 1920x1080 video at 30p in mov format and can test how to get your target video.

It is not advised to take x264 into .avi container.

Jan Gruuthuse

remark:
the original footage is already h264 (x264), so you could leave Video Output with [Copy].
The audio is PCM (Little/Signed) stereo.
Selecting in Audio Output ÂAC (Faac) I can save with mp4 muxer as with mpv2 muxer.
both save files you can download here:
T5testV2.mp4 and T5test.mp4, Files (37.5 MB total)
Will be deleted on 19 August, 2016,
Download link: https://we.tl/YjCdIFqbDQ
The video used is the 1st one "Full HD Sample Video" in this review: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-t5/canon-t5-field-test.htm

steelhoof

in the in the car right now heading to go take some meteor pictures so bear with me. 1 I do not plan on playing I try the nightly build my experience with nightly builds his other problems creep in. 2 Lea file and question would not convert from Mov to x264 without the error so it was converted to the file as in the screenshot.

The next step was to convert this to x264 as mp4.

except it does not want to convert to x264.

That is my joy simple straightforward I'm not going to do what you want.

mean

You have selected h264-nvidia
You have all the requisites to use that ? i.e. cuda etc... installed ?

If not, better to stick to x264

steelhoof

I will try the other suggestion when I'm back to working computer

steelhoof

Point.

However this is my HP laptop...
And I looked for a different x264 option.

Educate my 2am brain a bit please.

Jan Gruuthuse

You are on windows? muxer MPEG4 AVC (x264)
-----------------------------------------------------
Quote from: steelhoof on August 12, 2016, 09:36:59 AM
That is my joy simple straightforward I'm not going to do what you want.
What is the point looking here for help then?
avidemux is an evolving progam, 2.6.12 is a release from March 5, 2016 so that makes it old.
QuoteI reduce the image size, and I get a clean file.
You are resizing the image to what resolution? going from 1920*1080 to ?
Try the same step as I did.
- Video Output with [Copy]
- Audio Output AAC (Faac)
save video with mp4 or mp4v2 muxer.

fish

Since x265 encoding was introduced, I have also got the error message, 'Cannot set up codec. Bitrate too low', when trying to encode to x264 (ff/NVidia) and adjusting the bitrate as high as it will go still gives the same error. I mostly use Avidemux in copy mode. I don't know the duration of your video, if it's short and you need frame accurate editing, use HuffYUV (AVI) and then 'handbrake' to make your mp4. If you can get the frame accuracy you want using Copy mode (mp4), then I would use that every time.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on August 12, 2016, 09:52:24 AM
avidemux is an evolving progam, 2.6.12 is a release from March 5, 2016 so that makes it old.

The 2.6.10 release the TO claims to use is even a whole lot older: it was released on June 11, 2015.