News:

--

Main Menu

v2.6.13

Started by fish, August 19, 2016, 11:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish

Yes, I would use the delete or cut option in that menu if i was using the mouse but that is not a control button like the transport controls under the play head/position indicator. I know itââ,¬â,,¢s no big deal but from a usability stand point, with many edits required, a delete button close or near the rest, would eliminate the need to move the mouse pointer from the bottom to the top the screen (maximised) and go into the edit menu to perform every delete. It's not a big deal but it does slow editing compared to using a keyboard. I donââ,¬â,,¢t think I have ever used cut , copy or paste in Avidemux. I assume the ââ,¬Ëœpasteââ,¬â,,¢ is actually ââ,¬Ëœinsertââ,¬â,,¢ rather than an ââ,¬Ëœoverwriteââ,¬â,,¢ which is very different type of ââ,¬Ëœpasteââ,¬â,,¢.

Jan Gruuthuse

simultaneous key press (keyboard) [Ctrl][X] will cut or delete, you don't need to use mouse for these!
In all the menus you can see what keyboard short cuts are available or not

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: fish on August 22, 2016, 01:52:52 PMusing the keyboard, the 'up', 'down', 'right', 'left', keys can be held down to achieve a shuttle effect, where as this cannot be done with a mouse.

Actually, quite a lot can be achieved with the mouse wheel (I do prefer keyboard by far too).

Quoteusing the mouse, there is no 'delete' button in the GUI, so when using the mouse, it is still necessary to move to the edit menu and click delete.

Yes, there is no such button now, a lot of buttons were removed at some point in the past.

QuotePlease don't regard this post as a criticism of the software

What would be wrong with criticism? Avidemux GUI and CLI deserves a lot, but it won't improve things unless (more) capable people start to contribute high quality patches.

QuoteI like eumagga0x2a's suggestion but since I haven't dabbled in any coding since 'peeking' and 'poking' Commodore 64 memory addresses and some short machine code programs, 30 odd years ago, I don't know where to start. The changes look simple enough but how do I get at the text, do I need some sort of assembler/disassembler or is it called a compiler these days? Are there any guides to make these sort of customisations.

You'll need a build environment which includes a compiler, git (preferably) and a reasonable text editor. You get all the stuff turnkey ready within a couple of minutes on Linux, but I have no idea how hard it is to put all the parts together on Windows. http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=build:devel_2.6 might help.

QuoteSorry just browsing around the forum and realised this thread is more suited to the 'User Interface And Usability' section.

The said section of this forum is the closest thing to /dev/null  ;)

fish

Something to look into over the winter I'm thinking.

EEMcGee

How about just adding an option into preferences to change all of the key bindings to what ever key you want.  I'm guessing there is probably a library out there that could be integrated into Avidemux without much programming.  That would solve the problem.  They usually allow any mouse functions to be used as a key binding too.