[BUG] Can't Append To A Video File Without Sound On A Mac

Started by robotreader, September 27, 2016, 09:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robotreader

I have a video file I made without a sound track at all.  I made this file in avidemux by loading a clip, going into audio, select track, then disabling everything and saving the result.  I can load it into avidemux, but trying to append a file to it causes Avidemux to crash with the following message:

Assert failed :0 file /Volumes/UserData/hudson/workspace/MacOSX_qt5/avidemux/qt4/common/ADM_editor/src/audio/ADM_edPoolOfAudioTracks.cpp, line 16

This is on avidemux 2.16.12 and el capitan 10.11.6.

I am not named hudson.

Jan Gruuthuse

[BUG]? Are you certain?

Append? You can't append audio to video track (put behind the loaded video)
What container is the video in?
What audio are you trying to add in the video?
You do add via audio menu?
Menu: Audio: Select track:
- Track 1 [v] Enabled
- click on Track 0 and select [.... Add audio track]
- browse to audio track and select the audio file

Can you find a more recent avidemux for your el capitan 10.11.6. here? : http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/

See if this works: instead of saving the video without audio track, replace the current audio track with the new audio track.

eumagga0x2a

As it seems, this is how it is currently coded (didn't test myself, but if an appended file has more audio tracks than the already loaded, it asserts).

robotreader

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 27, 2016, 10:05:41 AM
[BUG]? Are you certain?

Append? You can't append audio to video track (put behind the loaded video)
What container is the video in?
What audio are you trying to add in the video?
You do add via audio menu?
Menu: Audio: Select track:
- Track 1 [v] Enabled
- click on Track 0 and select [.... Add audio track]
- browse to audio track and select the audio file

Can you find a more recent avidemux for your el capitan 10.11.6. here? : http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/

See if this works: instead of saving the video without audio track, replace the current audio track with the new audio track.

I am starting with a video file without an audio track, and appending another video file with an audio track.  Both videos are mp4's encoded as h.264.

I am not adding any audio - I removed the track from the first clip, and the second clip just has whatever audio was already there, encoded as aac.  Right now I want the first clip to be silent, which is why I didn't add any new audio.

It doesn't work on the nightly either.

AQUAR

Eumagga0x2a has looked at the C++ code - see link provided.
If I understand correctly: the appended video requires to have the same number of audio tracks as the loaded video.
If it has more, then it asserts the same number of audio tracks by dropping the extra audio tracks.
Ergo if the loaded video has no audio track then the appended video will have all audio tracks dropped.

Maybe try silencing the audio track (vol=0!) rather than deleting it.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: AQUAR on September 27, 2016, 01:32:02 PM
If I understand correctly: the appended video requires to have the same number of audio tracks as the loaded video.
If it has more, then it asserts the same number of audio tracks by dropping the extra audio tracks.
Ergo if the loaded video has no audio track then the appended video will have all audio tracks dropped.

You are right, if the appended video has more audio tracks than the initial one, they get dropped. By the way, I don't get a crash if I save a h264 video without audio in a MKV container, load it in Avidemux and append the original video.