News:

--

Main Menu

has anyone ever gotten subtitle filter to work?

Started by JimmyTheSaint, November 20, 2016, 10:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mean

Seems to work
After "okaying" the filter, it will take a few minutes to index the fonts

JimmyTheSaint

Yes, the first suggestion solved it--thanks so much. Now how do I permanently install the fix? I forget this stuff. Do I store the fonts.conf file in some particular location (there's no /etc) and then put the export command in a file someplace?

mean

I'll patch the bundle so that it's done automacally
It will take a few days, i'm busy with something else

mean

JimmyTheSaint

Yes, that totally works. This is going to free up a lot of resources for me. I wonder why other users never brought this up before? Thanks again.

Jan Gruuthuse

- not everyone uses subtitles
- less avidemux users are on Mac

JimmyTheSaint

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on November 22, 2016, 06:28:19 AM
- not everyone uses subtitles

Yeah, I've found that out in the three years that I've been working on this problem. What I want to do is quite simple and straightforward, so I'm still surprised so few people do this: you have a subtitled MKV file with a subtitle file inside it. You want to make a clip from a small portion of the video, while also keeping the subtitles. You can't simply use the subtitle file because the timing of, say, a 1-minute video will run from 0:00:00 to 0:01:00, but the minute you clipped is from the middle of the video. In that case, the subtitle file will not contain the correct timing. I realize I can use a subtitling program to adjust the timing of the extracted subtitles, but that turns out to be quite a lot of work to get it just right and embed the clipped subtitle file in the video. Clipping with avidemux makes it a no-brainer, as long as you can use the subtitle filter. That has the disadvantage of hardcoding the subtitles, but that doesn't matter in my case for the short clips because the original full-length video contains the editable subtitle file. I need to make about 50 short clips per video, so using the subtitle filter saves me a lot of work over any other method. You would think there'd be other people who make short clips from long, subtitled videos, but apparently not. I've tried to get other colleagues to use this method, but they're technology-challenged and so they minimize their use of clips (when they shouldn't) and end up fumbling around when doing presentations. In my case, I pre-make all my clips and have them all lined up so that I'm not searching back and forth for the right spot in a video to show.

I think lots of people make clips from long videos; the need to subtitle is much less encountered, but I *must* preserve the original subtitles.

Jan Gruuthuse

Perhaps with the gained momentum in developing (mean and eumagga0x2a). Avidemux developer(s) might decide to tackle subtitle(s), time permitting.
My user wishful thinking and does not reflect the developer(s) view point .

JimmyTheSaint

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on November 22, 2016, 07:21:59 AM
Perhaps with the gained momentum in developing (mean and eumagga0x2a). Avidemux developer(s) might decide to tackle subtitle(s), time permitting.
eh? it's done. As pointed out above, the subtitle filter now works on my macs.

Jan Gruuthuse

- Exporting subtitle(s)
- Editing video and keeping the subtitle data in the stream.

Not an easy task, but time permitting, you never know.

JimmyTheSaint

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on November 22, 2016, 07:35:32 AM
- Editing video and keeping the subtitle data in the stream.
yeah, that would be the dream.

JimmyTheSaint

Any chance of getting an El Capitan version with the subtitle filter fix? I tried the Sierra version on my El Capitan mac, but it crashes when preparing the fonts while loading the subtitle file.

mean

Not sure the compilation node is still working
I4ll have a look