Pass 1 time remaining / stops responding

Started by TimW, November 27, 2016, 12:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

Hi all,

I have missed a few versions but recently upgraded from 2.6.10 (150723_efbeb572fce) to 2.6.15 (Win 32).  I completely uninstalled 2.6.10 before then installing 2.6.15.

When I now do a two-pass recode with x264, the first pass "time remaining" indicator behaves strangely.  Sometimes it reaches zero much too soon, more often it shows zero from the outset and never changes.  Meanwhile the "Elapsed" indicator does not freeze, but shows a very large number many times greater than the real time elapsed.  I don't recall this ever happening with 2.6.10.

The first pass % complete indicator does not seem to be affected, and works normally.  The second pass "time remaining" is working too.  The output is fine provided the program does not stop responding.  The problem is therefore somewhat cosmetic and perhaps not worth mentioning except that AviDemux also now stops responding quite often while encoding (not every time, and not at the same point in the recode [for a given file] every time when it does happen), whereas with 2.6.10, I can hardly ever remember it stopping responding.  I wondered whether the two things might be related.

I also wondered whether this might be simply down to my settings, and I have done the best I can in trying to set the decoding to DXVA2 as instructed on the website.  Unfortunately my knowledge of windows codecs, opengl, DXVA and so on is next to non-existent so really it's just guesswork.

The program is still usable, but I often have to take several attempts at a file before I can get it to run right through without stopping responding.  I have no hardware changes since 2.6.10.

Sorry to raise something that is relatively trivial, but if anyone could offer any suggestions as to settings that might improve the situation then that would be greatly appreciated.

As ever, thanks for this wonderful software.

Jan Gruuthuse

You did switch to latest 2.6.15 from November 24th 2016 found @ http://www.avidemux.org/nightly?

TimW

Many thanks.  The version I was running was downloaded from the download link (http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html) via Fosshub on 24th Nov.  I have now uninstalled, followed your link to the nightly builds and reinstalled r161124.  I am pleased to report that the weird pass 1 time remaining problem has been cured.  I'll report back on the "stops responding" problem if it continues.  Thanks again.

TimW

For completeness/information only: recode of HD video now works fine with hardware acceleration (DXVA2) decoding on.  For some reason encoding of standard definition almost always stops responding with the same settings.  With hardware acceleration completely off, however, SD is fine.  No need to follow up, I am happy with hardware acceleration off, I am posting this just for information in case anyone else is having the same problem with SD, in which case turning off hardware acceleration is worth a try.

mean

TimW

Sadly, my initial success at recoding HD video with x264 on 2.6.15 must have been down to luck.  Now that I have done a greater volume my success rate is rather hit-and-miss before Avidemux stops responding.  The best combination of settings seems to be to use DXVA2 decoding (and same display driver).  I have tried direct3d, direct3d11, opengl and 'software' for the sdl driver, but this doesn't seem to make any difference one way or the other (perhaps that is what you would expect - I'm afraid have no idea what this setting is!). Some files do work first time, but sometimes it is the third or fourth attempt before Avidemux gets all the way through any given file without freezing.  Remuxing the input file to mkv with MKVToolNix seems to help a bit, but not much.  Any further ideas for settings I might change/try would be greatly appreciated.

eumagga0x2a

Please attach a compressed Avidemux log (admlog.txt) from an encoding ending in such a freeze.

TimW

Please find attached the log from a test I just did.  The first pass was complete and the second pass more than half complete before Avidemux stopped responding.  Hope this helps shed some light on the matter.

eumagga0x2a

In the attached log, Avidemux is launched and subsequently closed in a regular fashion ~12 seconds later. No video loaded, nothing encoded and of course no freeze.

Jan Gruuthuse

maybe 2nd pass is same/similar issue as this: x265 pass 2 failure
diacritic characters, path depth, total length pathname depth + length filename, ...

TimW

Apologies, afraid I can't explain that.  Perhaps it is because I killed the app with task manager before copying the file.  I have run it again, and this time copied the log while the program is showing "not responding" on the screen, but before killing it.  The log file is much bigger this time, so I think that has worked.  The project (source and settings) was exactly the same as before but this time it stopped responding on the first pass rather than the second.  I'm afraid I don't have sufficient technical knowledge to interpret the log, but it looks as though the problem is with the decoding - there are a vast number of error messages.  The source is a DVB S broadcast.  Despite the trouble with the decoding, the preview looks fine and plays fine on screen in Avidemux, and I can seek through it no problem.  The source file plays perfectly in VLC media player.  I had already remuxed the source into mkv from the original ts (otherwise the crash tends to happen sooner). 

Unfortunately the log file is much too big to attach (45MB), due to the large number of error messages.  The last few lines reads as follows:

[DecodeNextPicture] 09:10:29-550 Decoding error for frame 244388, not necessarily a problem
Surface to admImage = 115D1180
Retrieving image pitch=2048 width=1920 height=1080
Align 1080,16 => 1088
[uncompress] 09:10:29-575 [DXVA] --No picture 
[decompressImage] uncompress failed
[DecodeNextPicture] 09:10:29-575 Decoding error for frame 244390, not necessarily a problem
Surface to admImage = 115D0140
Align 1080,16 => 1088
[uncompress] 09:10:29-593 [DXVA] --No picture 
[decompressImage] uncompress failed
[DecodeNextPicture] 09:10:29-593 Decoding error for frame 244392, not necessarily a problem
Surface to admImage = 115D1040
Align 1080,16 => 1088

There are also a lot of error messages like this, earlier in the file:

[getRecoveryFromSei] 08:28:06-549 Cannot decode SEI
[MKV/H264] Frame 58444 is a keyframe
[getRecoveryFromSei] 08:28:06-550 Cannot decode SEI
[getRecoveryFromSei] 08:28:06-550 Cannot decode SEI

Max size of an attachment is 128KB.  I have edited the log file by removing thousands of lines of what looks like mere repetition (different frame numbers), then zipped the file.  Hopefully this will be sufficient, but it is not the original log file.

Jan Gruuthuse

Can you state your exact used OS Windows (32-bit)
Is the OS localized? Not using standard English?
- What is device H: ?
- "Avidemux Test 001.mkv" try avoiding spaces in the files
- what is the name of the input file?
- Don't use the root to work in! There are file amount limitations in there. Use different source and destination folder, Use short folder names like /TestOut/ (source videos) and /TestIn/ (target video).

TimW

Hi, and thanks once again for looking into this.

OS is Windows 10 Professional (build 14393) 32 bit.

The source file was G:\Avidemux Test 1-002.mkv.  The output file was H:\Avidemux Test 001.mkv

G: is Western Digital WDC WD20EARS 2TB
H: is Toshiba X300 4TB

Neither is the root, which is C: (Crucial_CT500MX)

Also an update: out of curiosity I uninstalled 2.6.15 and installed 2.6.11.  The "video decoder" on the main screen now reads "Lavcodec  RGB".  I then ran the same job (same project, same input file, same settings, same filenames) and it worked first time no trouble at all.  I am no expert but this suggests to me that decoding with dxva2 is causing the trouble.  On the other hand, 2.6.15 crashed even quicker if dxva2 was not used.  The 2.6.11 log file still shows the same huge number of errors, but I guess they are being dealt with more gracefully.   If dxva2 is the problem, I guess that means Avidemux itself might not be the issue here and hence there is not much you can do.  Unless the solution is quick and easy (or just settings) there is no need to take this any further on my account, as I am more than happy with 2.6.11.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: TimW on December 08, 2016, 12:18:33 PM
The source file was G:\Avidemux Test 1-002.mkv.  The output file was H:\Avidemux Test 001.mkv

G: is Western Digital WDC WD20EARS 2TB
H: is Toshiba X300 4TB

Neither is the root, which is C: (Crucial_CT500MX)

G:\ is the root of hard disc WDC WD20EARS 2TB
H:\ is the root of hard disc Toshiba X300 4TB

ssd is setup correctly? no temp writing on (Crucial_CT500MX)

developer(s) could still respond, to the log.