News:

--

Main Menu

Copy Mode and Cut Points not on key frames

Started by DMan, August 28, 2017, 08:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMan

Hello I've been using this program alot (mainly cutting stuff) and it's really great, but there is one thing that bothers me:
"cutting a long video and getting a message that the cut points are not on key frames" and you don't know where that particular was made.

Is there any way to configure the program (or put this in a future release) to notify me that I made a cut not on a key frame (and possible where) while cutting? Thanks.

Jan Gruuthuse

Until developers come up with a solution, time permitting, ....
Only select editing points (for setting markers) with up or down keyboard arrow or the equivalent on the Qt graphical user interface:

Go to previous intra frame (keyframe)
Go to next keyframe

after all: Avidemux is a simple tool for simple video processing tasks.

eumagga0x2a

As Jan said, use up/down arrow keys as the last step to define cut points and you are on the safe ground WRT keyframes. Otherwise keep in mind that the start of each segment must be on a keyframe, i.e. the entry point of the video and the end point of each deletion.

There is currently no way to notify the user in advance that a deletion or a cut has been chosen not wisely as delete/cut functionality doesn't know anything about the codec. ADM_Composer::checkCutsAreOnIntra(), which performs the check prior to saving in copy mode, aborts further checks if it encounters a single segment which starts not on a keyframe. It prints the number of the offending segment starting with zero and a human-readable time stamp of its first frame to the Avidemux log (admlog.txt on Windows, accessible from the "Help" menu).

(I have to add that this timestamp is the timestamp of the frame in the reference video which is not quite helpful from the user perspective.)

DMan

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I've been using the up/down key buttons navigating the key frames but I guess I sometimes slip to the left/right keys.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: DMan on August 28, 2017, 08:04:27 AM
Is there any way to configure the program (or put this in a future release) to notify me that I made a cut not on a key frame (and possible where) while cutting?

I've pushed a patch to the git master to warn the user about cut points not on keyframes with video codec set to copy right when it happens.