News:

--

Main Menu

Any Users Trying WIP?

Started by AQUAR, November 29, 2016, 09:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQUAR

Excluding Mean (of course!), you are definitely the biggest contributor to developing code for ADM in the last year or so.

I am just an accidental contributor at the "end user" front.
Accidental, as I was compelled to support Jan after some ridiculous ongoing argie bargie on the forum.

WRT AnatV, I am always trying to find someone with good coding expertise to bounce these rookie induced "tangents".

Debugging ADM windows on windows might be a consideration for doing this.

Telasterod

Visual Studio can be a real PITA for compiling and catching a few bugs for me, but I've just barely scratched the surface of WIP

talktobabes

AQUAR

@ Telasterod
Good to know you are also trying to process the VS WIP thread.
Interested in any results you are getting (success or failures).   

For now I am sticking with Visual Studio 2015, as that is what Mean used.
I've now installed Visual Studio 2015 3 times in a VirtualBox virtual machine.
Last one was VS2015 community with integrated update pack 3 (consequently this install was much quicker).

https://download.microsoft.com/download/b/e/d/bedddfc4-55f4-4748-90a8-ffe38a40e89f/vs2015.3.com_enu.iso

Even VS2015 community is a 30 day trial unless you register the program with a free microsoft ID (eg Hotmail account).

The IDE looks very nice to me, except it also seems to act as a giant advertisement for Microsoft's cloud facility called Azure.
Apparently you can uninstall the azure SDK using its installer (its obfuscated and hidden!) and I will do that to free up the virtual HDD.

The process described by MEAN (ie VS WIP) doesn't actually use the VS IDE but uses MSYS as a CLI to use the C++ compiler that comes with VS.

WIP = Work In Progress
So using visual studio to compile all of Avidemux is a work in progress from the ADM Author or other Coding expert's.

mean

The compilation is done using mingw in the small doc
but you can also do it from the IDE itself, i.e. just load the project and compile it
(dont forget the INSTALL target)

The IDE is very slow compared to invoking jus tthe command line compiler

AQUAR

Not quite getting the meaning of Mean's comment.
Maybe - the "WIP" talks about setting up a skeleton MinGW and this can be replaced with a VS project?

Next step for me is to follow the original thread on building ADM with VS.
Hopefully by actually doing what is described there, things will start to get clearer.

I wonder if the standalone version of Visual C++ 2015 Build Tools could be an alternative to installing the full VS suite.

AQUAR

IIRC with the last effort (mingw/msys) I had to use CMake version 2.8.5 (other versions just didn't work for me!).
I see that CMake is now up to V3.9.1.
Is this CMake version okay for creating the VS project files (didn't know it could do that!)?
Else what version should I use.

mean

I took the latest one last time i did it, 3.x

AQUAR

Thanks,
I down loaded CMake V3.9.1 and some tutorials to see how it works with the VS IDE.

AQUAR

Whilst doing my "homework" I read that VS2017 can work directly with CMake projects (instead of it re-creating them as VS projects).