News:

--

Main Menu

[solved]Help with Fade to black

Started by d, December 03, 2016, 04:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d

I have been using Avidemux for about 4 years to produce a weekly video but I haven't been able to get the Fade filter (now called "Fade to black") to work on new versions starting with 2.6.11. I went back to 2.6.10 because I add a 2 second fade-in at the beginning and fade-out at the end of every video.

I just bought a new laptop and decided to try the latest version (2.6.15) but I have the same problem. I do understand how to set the timing. I just did the exact same thing side by side on both computers and it worked correctly with 2.6.10 but there was no fade at all with 2.6.15. The other filters work fine (Crop, Resize, MPlayer eq2 are the ones I use regularly) but not Fade to black.

Both computers have the 64 bit version of Avidemux on Windows 10. I had the same issue on a Windows 7 laptop, though. I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong/differently. I have configured the x264 settings for the type of video I produce but I used the same config in both installations.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. I'll go back to 2.6.10 if I have to but I'd like to use the latest version.

Jan Gruuthuse

apply the filter "Fade to black", select:
- Fade in (going from black to picture)
- Fade out (going from picture to black)
enter start time: [hours] [minutes] [seconds] [milliseconds] (time where you want start filter)
enter end time: [hours] [minutes] [seconds] [milliseconds] (above time + 2seconds)

mark in bottom right hand corner of avidemux GUI:
[v] Play filtered

It should show the fade effect while playing that section of video in avidemux.

video on our YouTube channel: Fade Filter, How to

Just tested: this still works as it should (Ubuntu 14.04.5 64-bit)

d

I agree, it should. That's why I'm so confused about why it's not working for me. As I said, I've been using this filter for years and there's basically no difference in the interface. I do a 2 second fade in from the beginning so here is what I enter for the Fade filter:

Fade type: [In]
&Start time (ms): {0} h: {0} m: {0} s, {0}
&End time (ms): {0} h: {0} m: {2} s, {0}

But it doesn't show the fade when I play filtered, and it doesn't add the fade when I save the video. Again, works fine for me up through 2.6.10 but I can't get it to work with 2.6.11 or 2.6.15. I can give you screenshots or do a video screen capture of the whole process if that will help.

Jan Gruuthuse

your OS, 32- or 64-bit?
If Linux try Avidemux Universal app
You don't need to save: does fade to black work with preview enabled? If not working there it won't work as saved.

d

Windows 10. 64-bit.

Yes, I have "Play Filtered" checked and the fade isn't working there.

Jan Gruuthuse

Can you try this one if you don't hav this one alreay running: http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win64/avidemux_2.6.15_r161203_win64.exe (3 december 2016)
If still not working: report back.

Can other Windows 10 (64-bit) users test fade to black and confirm there is an issue?

d

OK, I'll test this out after work tonight, probably 8 or 9 hours from now.

mean

unlikely to be better in the nightlies

eumagga0x2a

It looks like I'll have to setup a 64 bit MXE build environment. "Fade to black" works for me in 32 bit Avidemux builds.

edit for clarity: This plugin works fine for me in 32 bit Avidemux builds running on 64 bit Windows 7.

d

OK, I figured out what is happening. The filter changed how it calculated the times when using the start/end markers, starting with 2.6.11.

Every video that I make I use the start/end markers to cut out some at the beginning and the end. For example, I might set the A marker at 00:00:05.435 and the B marker at 00:57:23.384 . The "Fade" filter (up through 2.6.10) treated 0:00:00.000 as the beginning of the selected video, the A marker (which would be 00:00:05.435 of the complete video file). A 2 second fade-in meant I entered 00:00:00.000 and 00:00:02.000 as the timings, even though it was 5 seconds into the video file. Then I always had to subtract the A marker from the B marker to get the video to fade out at the right time. In this example, the fade out needs to end at 00:57:17.949.

But now the "Fade to black" filter (2.6.11 and later) calculates everything from the beginning of the video file, irrespective of the markers. So a 2 second fade in would be from 00:00:05.435 to 00:00:07.435, the fade out would be 00:57:21.384 to 00:57:23.384. I never figured out why the fades didn't appear where I was looking for it but now I assume they were there all along, just in a different place than I expected.

This is actually easier since I don't have to calculate anything now. There's still a little bit of a bug with the fade out with the markers. It seems to end a frame or two early so that instead of ending on black, a frame or two of unfaded video flash up after the fade out. That's easy to compensate for, though, by adding 0.005 to the end timing.