[2.6.16] Preview Window not scaling to screen

Started by DanielJackson, December 31, 2016, 09:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielJackson

Hello,

Today I downloaded the last version of Avidemux (2.6.16), my previous version was 2.6.8, which I still have btw. (thought it would replace but it created a new directory with an extra space between "64" and "bit"
The problem i'm facing is in the title. I tried to crop a video whose resolution is beyond that of my screen, and the preview window goes out of the screen, I cannot resize it even though the resizing arrows appear.
The problem does not appear in the version 2.6.8, I know it doesnt say much since this is a very old version.

I am on windows 7 SP1.
Thank you in advance for reading and for any help you can provide.

[Edit] : I've tried installing version incrementally from 2.6.11 to figure out when the modification appeared. It appears the change occured between 2.6.15 and 2.6.16

eumagga0x2a

This should have been a showstopper IMVHO, under no circumstances ADM_flyDialog::calcZoomFactor should return _computedZoom which is greater than the return value of UI_calcZoomToFitScreen (I have a patch, but it needs more work; will have a bit of time for that on Monday).

Jan Gruuthuse

At one point the controls where near the top of the window, including the (*) AutoZoom on/off.
Now these are back on the bottom of the preview window. When AutoZoom goes off screen, the bottom controls are off screen and you can't switch of AutoZoom. Perhaps moving the AutoZoom back to top of window can help in these situations.
see report: Regarding preview autozoom

mean

What is your screen size/the video you are editing ?

Jan Gruuthuse

3840 x 2160 (4K screen) and 720p (1280 x 720 video), autozoom is working here now as intended.
Guess this would be happening with netbooks: none standard desktop resolutions:  800x480, 1024x600, ...

you want a reply from @DanielJackson

DanielJackson

Hello,

Thank you for answering fast during this celebrations and happy new year to you all :)

My screen is a 18" 1920x1080.
I also have an external screen hooked up (23" 1920x1080), I removed it and relaunched the application to make the setup as simple a possible and it still appears.

The resolution of the video is (from mediaInfo):
Width                       : 1 920 pixels
Height                      : 1 080 pixels

Although VLC writes :
Resolution: 1920x1088
Display resolution: 1920x1080

I am on a laptop. And I can see the "AutoZoom" at button THE TOP (despite the comment of Jan Gruuthuse of it being at the bottom), but toggling it on an off has no effect..
Admittedly, the bottom of the video going off screen would not bother me for other transformations, as the controls are at the top, but in this case (cropping), I could not see how much further I need to crop on the bottom

Thanks again for your help !

DanielJackson

I downloaded a 2160p clip to check with higher resolutions (since in my first post I said the resolution of the video was higher than that of the screen but turned out to be wrong)
With a video of a resolution of :
Resolution: 3840x2176
The preview window is originally smaller than my screen and leaves space on all sides of the screen. When toggling the autoZoom feature, it restores it to full size I guess, It must be how the autozoom  works.

Maybe it is because the resolution of the screen is the same as the video, the autozoom feature doesnt deem it necessary to resize even though the controles are adding extra to the video size ?

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: DanielJackson on January 01, 2017, 09:10:08 AM
>8 >8
I am on a laptop. And I can see the "AutoZoom" at button THE TOP (despite the comment of Jan Gruuthuse of it being at the bottom), but toggling it on an off has no effect..
>8 >8
to clarify: 2.6.16 - Release, but with commit 7efb0d1 on ubuntu 14.04.5

DanielJackson

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on January 01, 2017, 10:06:24 AM
Quote from: DanielJackson on January 01, 2017, 09:10:08 AM
>8 >8
>8 >8
to clarify: 2.6.16 - Release, but with commit 7efb0d1 on ubuntu 14.04.5
Thank you for this detail, obviously I didn't build the exe from source ^^ I downloaded it from sourceforge

Jan Gruuthuse

I was aware of this, info is more for developers.
Possible downloads:
https://www.fosshub.com/Avidemux.html/ (release)
http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/ (nightly) select 32 or 64-bit version matching your windows

eumagga0x2a

Thank you very much, the basic problem is fixed by https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/commit/b77bac1b214215eb30d86d426018e95d7b0231ce, but why is it necessary to restrict zoom to some steps? Does scaling an image to 2/3 performs so much better than to 0.6929 e.g.? If performance matters, would it speed up things restricting scaling to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 instead? Last but not least: is it guaranteed that UI_calcZoomToFitScreen never returns a zero?

There are more issues with the new preview dialog which probably should have been better caught before shipping: the navigation slider doen't scale correctly and navigating with the buttons doesn't update the position of the slider.

Jan Gruuthuse

mean

It's a stop gap solution, not a definitive one

eumagga0x2a

I'll try to look into the slider situation tomorrow. Please feel free to push your own solution any time, because I'm not only still unskilled but also 1000x slower at best. With the zoom and slider fixed, it should be IMVHO okay for rpmfusion till 2.6.17.

eumagga0x2a

As of [flyDialog] Begin to simplify zoom computation, trying to add a filter using preview (e.g. "crop") crashes Avidemux with

Segfault
at line 0, file ??ADM_backTrack

QWidgetPrivate::updateGeometry_helper(bool)
QWidget::setSizePolicy(QSizePolicy)
ADM_flyDialog::addControl(QHBoxLayout*)
Ui_cropWindow::Ui_cropWindow(QWidget*, crop*, ADM_coreVideoFilter*)
DIA_getCropParams(char const*, crop*, ADM_coreVideoFilter*)
CropFilter::configure()
ADM_vf_addFilterFromTag(IEditor*, unsigned int, CONFcouple*, bool)
filtermainWindow::add(bool)
/usr/local/bin/avidemux3_qt5() [0x4a3b0d]
QMetaObject::activate(QObject*, int, int, void**)
QAction::triggered(bool)
QAction::activate(QAction::ActionEvent)

QMenu::mouseReleaseEvent(QMouseEvent*)
QWidget::event(QEvent*)
QMenu::event(QEvent*)
QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*)
QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*)
QCoreApplication::notifyInternal2(QObject*, QEvent*)
QApplicationPrivate::sendMouseEvent(QWidget*, QMouseEvent*, QWidget*, QWidget*, QWidget**, QPointer<QWidget>&, bool)

QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*)
QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*)
QCoreApplication::notifyInternal2(QObject*, QEvent*)
QGuiApplicationPrivate::processMouseEvent(QWindowSystemInterfacePrivate::MouseEvent*)
QGuiApplicationPrivate::processWindowSystemEvent(QWindowSystemInterfacePrivate::WindowSystemEvent*)

edit: No, it doesn't crash. That crash turned out to be an artifact of partial builds.