Request GUI change, allowed codecs to use.

Started by Jan Gruuthuse, February 18, 2017, 10:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Gruuthuse

No idea if this is a big job or not?
Proposal to re-arrange the left hand menu
- move Output Format above Video Output
- upon selected Output Format present only allowed codecs for Video Output and Audio Output
This would stop guessing what is working and what not. Avoiding the popup message (x) Unsupported while saving (3 steps later).
This will also speed up the work flow.

Thanks for looking in to this and considering the change.

eumagga0x2a

What would you do with the default "Copy" setting then? I fear that disappearing options might be as confusing as error messages popping up later.

I don't think that rearranging menus is necessary, but some kind of validation would be a good idea, IMVHO, as well as changing the default container away from AVI (almost any other choice would be better), of course.

Jan Gruuthuse

now you check afterwards when saving, believe it is better to do before.
- [Copy] allowed when source codec matches allowed codec destination Output Format.
- Force choice when [Copy] is not allowed
- allow only choices showing in drop down in video/audio.
When video is loaded and "Output Format" is chosen, all relevant data is known, you then only check against (not) allowed options for this Output Format (container).
-------------
- load video
- Choose Output Format (container)
- Is source video codec allowed as [Copy] in that container: leave set as [Copy], if not force choosing from drop down menu video.
- Is source audio track(s) valid for [Copy]  in that container: leave set as [Copy], if not force choosing from drop down menu audio.
-- included check for remaining audio tracks (1-3)
-- include check for more then 4 audio tracks  (0-3) and present audio tracks configuration for selection.

Something along these lines. You developers know what is possible or not. And what is already available in the programming code.

fish

My default output format is mp4. If I remember, I simply loaded a video selected mp4 as the output format and chose 'Save current setting as default', from the 'Edit' tab.