Mpeg4 ASP (xvid4) "Advanced Simple@L5" profile missing in 2.6.0 final

Started by fastleo63, September 10, 2012, 03:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQUAR

About that thread:
I was already happy with Mean re-introducing Xvid in ADM2.6, and not all that fussed that there was no ASL5 profile.
Always assumed ADM set encoding defaults for the various codecs, but maybe I am wrong when it comes to the defaults for these MPEG4 standards/profiles.
In any case IIRC ADM will override these profile defaults with available user encoder setting even if they fall outside that profile:
For example ASL4 has a max frame size that is simply ignored when recoding video with a much bigger frame size.   

There is one more profile for the Xvid codec "unrestricted" - of course without a parameters dialog for it in ADM2.6 it should be missing.

Not used Xvid for a long time now and I no longer have it installed except as part of FFDshow and ADM.
IIRC there were 2 dialogs that came with the installer for this codec (an encoding and a decoding one) using the VFW frontend.
It always included the ASL5 profile and no idea if the parameters came from the Xvid core library or a supporting library.

Curious if Linux had a similar frontend for setting Xvid profiles.