Korean mkv with hardcoded subtitles help

Started by CaptainChaos, October 05, 2021, 03:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainChaos

Hi,

I have a Korean TV Series with harcoded English subtitles that I want to use avidemux 2.7.5 on.

BUT

When I recode it to mkv or mp4, the subtitles are lost, so I can't load it into convertxtodvd with subtitles.

How can I code it, so the subtitles remain (not a separate srt file, they're embedded into the film).

The reason I ask is mainly because convertxtodvd won't code more than 2 mkv/mp4 files without failing, and I really want to put 3 episodes on each disc.

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers.

szlldm

2.7.5 is very outdated, use the last release (or latest nightly).
Avidemux currently does not support subtitles.
What you can do is, after recoding merge the subtitle with MKVToolnix.

CaptainChaos

Thanks for the reply,

That's fine, but the file is just an mkv file, no srt subtitle file - will that mkv programme find the subtitles within the mkv file so I can make a separate mkv & subtitle file?

Ian

szlldm

The subtitle should be in the original file. Drop the original file into MKVToolnix, keep only the subtitle selected, then drop in the new file and merge together.

CaptainChaos

Thanks again - I'll get that mkvtoolnix.

If I find the subtitle "file" inside the mkv file, can I create a separate subtitle srt file with the subtitles, avidemux the original with no subtitles & then go to convertxtodvd & add the newly created srt into the avidemuxed mkv film only file?

Thanks