With latest nightly, I cannot add a png file to video

Started by AshleyQuick, April 11, 2017, 08:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AshleyQuick

When I choose "Select" and try to insert the .png file, I see it in the preview but when I click OK to proceed, it disappears from the video. What am I missing?

Jan Gruuthuse

Can you give more details
- Video resolution
- png resolution, bit-depth, colour colour space.

when picture is inserted, this is only for time duration of 1 frame or 1/2 frame depending what the video is using interlaced or progressive.
You would need to copy paste x times the picture until you reached the required time duration.

mean

AshleyQuick

No because I was using a version of AD that was a couple years old.

mean

Jan Gruuthuse

You can only Append
- load png 1st then append video, png is 1st frame
- load video 1st then append, png is last frame. Mostly only selectable with the right keyboard arrow when you are on last keyframe of video.

drag and drop works the same way.
- 1st dropped video then png: png is last frame
- 1st dropped png then video: png is 1st frame

important: width and height of both video and png must match! If not Info pop's up

Jan Gruuthuse

small video on png with appended video (png = 1st then video)
Howto: add video to png
Saved resulting video: png added video to
on our YouTube channel Avidemux Demo

the result is not showing well on youtube, better when you download the endresult:
png+720p.mkv 1 file, 243 KB in total
Will be deleted on 19 April, 2017
Download link: png added video to

AshleyQuick

This is so confusing. I made a png file with the exact dimensions of the video (720w x 404h) and dragged it onto the video. I did not get an error pop-up this time but when I clicked play, the logo cannot be seen. What am I doing wrong?

eumagga0x2a

What are you going to accomplish? Are you going to display a logo atop of the video or are you going to append a video made of a still picture (your png file)? In both cases you should use the "Logo" video filter and make the filter partial.

If you drag'n'dropped the png on a loaded video, it has been appended as the last frame to the video. Trying to play the video in Avidemux would actually crash the application because the number of audio channels probably doesn't match (zero in the appended image, a non-zero number in the video). With hw accelerated decoding the decoder won't be able to handle format change as well (the bundled ffmpeg works).

AshleyQuick

I want a watermark (a small circular png logo) to display in the top right corner for the entire duration of the video.

eumagga0x2a

Well, then the "Logo" ("add logo") filter without partializing is the way to go.

AshleyQuick

What do you mean by "without partializing"? Can you elaborate?

Jan Gruuthuse

Using a logo / watermark, some info can be seen in this demo video: Applying 2 Combined filter (logo swap) at our YouTube channel: Avidemux Demo

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: AshleyQuick on April 20, 2017, 10:09:12 PM
What do you mean by "without partializing"? Can you elaborate?

Originally, I assumed you want the logo to appear only for a fraction of the total video duration. This is called in Avidemux "partializing" of a video filter (add a filter, right-click this filter in the column of active filters: the feature is listed in the context menu).

Quote from: eumagga0x2aIn both cases you should use the "Logo" video filter and make the filter partial.

If you want the png to be visible all the time, just don't use the partializing feature.

AshleyQuick

OK I did not choose "Make Partial" in the right click context menu but there's still a problem. When I'm back on the main screen, I don't see the logo UNLESS I place a checkmark in "Play filtered". And, most importantly, when I save the video, it's still not there.