--

Main Menu

DTS issues

Started by Jan Gruuthuse, September 16, 2017, 06:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: AQUAR on September 16, 2017, 05:08:44 AM
>8 >8
audio fails to initialize with A_DTS 6 channel 24bit 1.5Mb/s audio track.
>8 >8
- Upload small video sample, 10 seconds more or less.

If source is DVB-T/T2, be aware some providers do switch audio codec in the used audio stream. Example commercial break going to stereo, while main program is in multi channel (Dolby or DTS)

Check if DTS support is there?
Avidemux menu: Help: Plugins: see marked red in attached

AQUAR

That audio encoder is not available in the windows ADM nightlies.

Of course the failure to initialize the audio, is an audio decoder or demuxer issue.
Not sure which audio decoder is used though.
Log file points to "waveoutopen" failed (maybe the bucket size is to small???)

Post a picture of the audio decoder plugins available on the Linux version and I'll compare it to the Windows version (nightly version).

Might be useful to have a sticky on the ADM forum, that lists useful freewares that are supplementary/complimentary to avidemux.
I never rely on avidemux alone but have it as part of a suite of video/audio programs.
Some nice complimentary programs I use are:
MKVToolnix.
TSmuxer.
EAC3to.
XMediaRecode (very nice for extracting and recoding audio and burning in vobsubs).
Mediainfo (no adware version!).

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: AQUAR on September 16, 2017, 07:13:42 AM
Post a picture of the audio decoder plugins available on the Linux version and I'll compare it to the Windows version (nightly version).

As you can see from plugins screenshot above:

There is no Tab: [Audio Decoder] as you have a Tab: [Video Encoder] & [Video Decoder]

Either oversight or Audio is handled only by Audio Decoder both ways?
Surely developer has more info on this ;)

AQUAR

Its just called AUDIO rather than AUDIO Decoders.
GUI needs a bit of tweaking on this tab.

Jan Gruuthuse

- that hurts

24bit that is playing up? Or else:
If Dca plugin is there, possibly this could be missing:
libdca:            decoding library for DTS Coherent Acoustics streams (in windows)

Read very careful on next web page: libdca a free DTS Coherent Acoustics decoder

AQUAR

Ouch indeed, as that decoder isn't in the windows version.

That said its not just 6 channel DTS that fails to initialize audio.
I just recoded that track to plain vanilla 6 channel AC3 @ 16 bits and 448Kb/s and it also failed to initialise audio.

Maybe its just the number of channels?

Just goes to show the merit of having a suite of complementary video processing softwares.

Jan Gruuthuse

There could be some issue with ac3 <> e-ac3. Have to look further in to this.
Don't have this many 5.1 ac3, most are AC3 stereo.
I have one test file that no longer plays 5.1, It did before.
See if I can upload the samples later today.

AQUAR

I down mixed and recoded to AC3 stereo: no dice.

Turns out the bit rate I set (448 Kb/s) seems to be too high for ADM.
It works fine @ 192 Kb/s for 2 channel AC3. (presume this has to do with the bucket size thing shown in the log file).

IIRC 448Kb/s for 5.1 AC3 audio encoding was discussed a long time ago (and I thought it was implemented).
If it was implemented, then ADM should also be capable of decoding its own output.

So has ADM 2.7 regressed back to 348 Kb/s (just don't recall this ever cropping up with ADM 2.6)?

Jan Gruuthuse

from 2014: Why is the AC3 limit 384Kbs?

We are doing dangerous now: mixing DTS and AC3 issues!
Think it is better to keep these apart.

AQUAR

I agree its not good to mix issues.

The DTS issue morphed into the AC3 issue as I was getting the same "audio failed to intialize" on this same sound track after I recoded it from DTS to AC3.
The root cause appears to be caused by a bit rate limitation on decoding the audio track, at least for DTS and AC3.

I tried a totally unrelated AC3 sound track with a bit rate of 448 Kb/s and it too fails with "audio failed to initialize".
Then tried both video's with these AC3 audio tracks on ADM2.6 and it throws no issues wrt the audio tracks (DTS or AC3).

We can start a new topic like "Audio Failed to initialize" and that will encompass any audio codec that suffers from this ADM response.