News:

--

Main Menu

Avidemux crashes on second edit

Started by Murray, September 02, 2017, 03:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murray

Interesting. I recreated the problem with this file before I replied.

Murray

Here is a 10 second file. I also made sure it failed on the second edit. https://we.tl/KTfsSxybak

eumagga0x2a

I'm sorry, but I can't reproduce with the second sample too. Please specify exact steps (position of markers, playback position etc.).

Maybe I should note that I'm on macOS, using a fresh local build from the git master. I'll retest later with a similar local win64 build. Usually this should not matter when not using hw accelerated decoding (which is strongly platform-dependent).

Murray

I mark in at the beginning of the file. up arrow to the first out point. set point, hit delete. Up arrow to the second in point. set in point. Up arrow to the second out point. Set out point, hit delete. seek error, click ok then crash.
<edit> BTW I only up arrow once. It's just a test so I don't care about position.

eumagga0x2a

Thank you, with these steps I can finally reproduce the seek error (Avidemux doesn crash due to patch, it rewinds to the beginning of the video instead).

eumagga0x2a

Please test if omitting the Step 1 (setting "in" marker at the first frame) allows to avoid the seek error (and crash without a patched build) at the second deletion. Start straight with the "go to the next keyframe" command.

Murray

Ya, that stops the error from happening.

Murray

BTW, I often get a seek error cutting the very end of the file, but it doesn't cause a crash.

eumagga0x2a

Instead of deleting the start and the end, you should better just save the in-between.

Murray

Pardon my ignorance, but how does one save just the middle?

eumagga0x2a

Chose the codec you wish or leave video in copy mode, set marker A where you would like the video to start, set marker B where it should end. Now save the video (Ctrl+S) and you're done.

Murray

Thanks! lol, I just stumbled on to that.

eumagga0x2a

BTW, the seek error with the steps you've given me is reproducible with almost all videos I tried. Thank you, will investigate deeper.

Murray

eumagga0x2a

It seems the fatal seek error was related to the way how we clean up the gap between the zero point and the first frame after delete if the marker A was at the first frame: The start time of the first video segment was not set to zero, leaving us with an improper segment layout.

The patch doesn't prevent seek errors after delete completely, so the previous patch is still needed.