News:

--

Main Menu

Cutting Video

Started by Wills13, September 30, 2017, 01:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wills13

Hi all,
First time here and first-time video editor, in other words totally useless.
I have a MP4 Video that is to long stuff dragged out and I would like to cut some of it out. I have downloaded and installed the program and it will run the Video but I can not work out how to select the sections that I would like to remove.
Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Jan Gruuthuse

very basic
- load video

-- move to point you want to cut out with slider
-- only select marking points [A ] [ B] with up or down keyboard arrow keys. [A ] begin of selection [ B] end of selection.
- -press simultaneous [Ctrl][X], the selection is gone

- proceed with slider to next section you want to cut out repeat above procedure

when done save video
see small demo: Fast Edit with Copy Mode at our YouYube Avidemux Demo channel.

dosdan

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 30, 2017, 02:19:27 PM
-- only select marking points [A ] [ B] with up or down keyboard arrow keys.

Amplifying on this. You can drag on the timeline to get close to where you want to cut. But then you need use the Up/Dn keys to jump back and forth between key-frame locations. You want to cut only on these points (even if they are not exactly your preferred locations) if you wish to copy the wanted portion. If you don't cut on key-frames you will have to re-encode the video stream, taking much longer and adding a generation loss.

Dan.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on September 30, 2017, 02:19:27 PM
- -press simultaneous [Ctrl][X], the selection is gone

Just press [Del]. Ctrl+X performs cut, i.e. copy to clipboard and delete in one step.

(I assume you don't use the dead old 2.5 generation of Avidemux despite posting here.)

Wills13

Thank you so much guys, I will do that tonight.
No I have installed Avidemux 2.7, you are saying I posted in the old 2.5 I didn't even know that there was a different location for version 2.7.
Many thanks again
Wills13

Wills13

Well thanks, all good worked as you told me.
Now I have been trying to add some Music to that Video looking at it, it tells me that I can, but how that is the problem, so anyone game to tell a drip how to get some music into that video, and what format would be the best.
The program saved the video in MKV file format which is OK to play on the computer with VLC but I would like to transfer it onto a USB stick to be able to play on the TV do I need to convert that to a different format.
Thanks
Wills13

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Wills13 on October 07, 2017, 12:47:02 PM
Now I have been trying to add some Music to that Video looking at it, it tells me that I can, but how that is the problem, so anyone game to tell a drip how to get some music into that video, and what format would be the best.

Prepare a 16 bit .WAV file, add it via "Audio" --> "Select Track" --> "...add audio track" from the dropdown menu for the first audio track. Choose a codec and bitrate suitable for your purposes.

QuoteThe program saved the video in MKV file format which is OK to play on the computer with VLC but I would like to transfer it onto a USB stick to be able to play on the TV do I need to convert that to a different format.

Most if not all not completely ancient TV sets can handle the MKV container. If not, read the specifications of your TV which containers and codecs it supports. Depending on that, decide whether you can save the video in copy mode to another container (e.g. MP4 like the original uncut video) or need to reencode either video or audio – or both.