News:

--

Main Menu

Newbie question: how do I install plugins?

Started by basic-user, December 22, 2017, 07:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basic-user

Sorry to have to ask such a basic question, but could someone please tell me how to install plugins?  I'm using Avidemux 2.7 64bits under Windows 8.1.

(The reason I want to do this, I'm getting the error message "cannot find a demuxer" when opening certain clips and someone advised installing the plugins).

Thanks in advance.

eumagga0x2a

Avidemux plugins are installed, guaranteed. You wouldn't be able to load a video without plugins. Not a single one.

Problems can arise from installing Avidemux without removing the program directory of a previous Avidemux installation first. If this is not the case here, please provide at least the MediaInfo output for the clips in question.

basic-user

Thanks for the response, eumagga0x2a.

As a test out, I uninstalled, rebooted, and re-installed, but the problem persists.  The folder (C:\Program Files\Avidemux 2.7 - 64 bits) was automatically deleted after uninstall.  Are there any other folders I should be deleting?

Here's the clip info from MPC.  Is this the info your need, eumagga0x2a?

Video: MPEG2 Video 704x576 (16:9) 25fps [V: mpeg2 main, yuv420p, 704x576]
Audio: MPEG Audio 48000Hz stereo 256kbps [A: English [eng] (mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 256 kb/s)]
Subtitle: DVB Subtitles [S: English [eng] (dvbsub)]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: No subtitles]

It's recorded on a Humax PVR.  I record a lot of stuff this way and 99% of the time they are fine in Avidemux.  The filesize is 2,597,392 KB.

Clip plays fine on MPC and VLC.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: basic-user on December 23, 2017, 07:15:14 PMI uninstalled, rebooted, and re-installed, but the problem persists.  The folder (C:\Program Files\Avidemux 2.7 - 64 bits) was automatically deleted after uninstall.  Are there any other folders I should be deleting?

No, this should be sufficient.

QuoteHere's the clip info from MPC.  Is this the info your need, eumagga0x2a?

Thanks, this is better than nothing. The requested output of MediaInfo (MediaInfo is a standalone diagnostic tool) would have provided information about the container as well.

QuoteVideo: MPEG2 Video 704x576 (16:9) 25fps [V: mpeg2 main, yuv420p, 704x576]
Audio: MPEG Audio 48000Hz stereo 256kbps [A: English [eng] (mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 256 kb/s)]
Subtitle: DVB Subtitles [S: English [eng] (dvbsub)]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: No subtitles]

It's recorded on a Humax PVR.

Probably MPEG-TS.

QuoteI record a lot of stuff this way and 99% of the time they are fine in Avidemux.  The filesize is 2,597,392 KB.

Clip plays fine on MPC and VLC.

So it is just this one recording, isn't it? Could you please open Avidemux, try to load the file, then compress and attach admlog.txt to your reply? You can access the Avidemux log from the Help --> Advanced menu. The better alternative would be to provide the first ~100 MiB of the file as a sample via e.g. WeTransfer.

If you just want to make the file readable for Avidemux, you could try to remux it with the command-line ffmpeg

ffmpeg -i "path\to\the\input\file" -c copy "path\to\the\remuxed\video.ts"

and load "video.ts" in Avidemux.

basic-user

Thank you for the ffmpeg tip.  The file worked perfectly after that!  May I ask what process ffmpeg is doing to "fix" the file?

For reference, I'm attaching the log file from the original non-working file.

Thanks again!

eumagga0x2a

Thank you, the function detectTs in the TS demuxer plugin identifies the TS packet lenght as 192, but later tsPacket::open decides it should be 188, which is probably wrong as sync fails with this assumption. Likely there is some garbage at the beginning of the file. A sample would be needed to be really sure.