Older avidemux creates smaller file (video+subtitles combining)

Started by milanovic102, February 09, 2018, 10:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milanovic102

Hello,

I am using avidemux for  combining Video with Subtitles.

In avidemux 2.5.6  I was using these options:

----------------------------------------------
  Video:  MPEG-4 ASP (mpeg4)
  Audio:  AC3(lav)
Format:  MP4
----------------------------------------------

And I am getting nice video with added subtitle with a standard file (.mp4) size.

In avidemux 2.6.4 there are no MPEG-4 ASP(mpeg4) and MP4 options available, only ... Muxer... 
But these options create much larger file at the end.

So I am confused now.   Is older version 2.5.6 better then 2.6.4?
I get smaller file by using 2.5.6 .

I have tried all formats in 2.6.4 and file always has a very large size. 
Can I create a smaller file with 2.6.4 somehow?

Please enlighten me.

eumagga0x2a

Both 2.5.6 and 2.6.4 as well as pre-AVC video codecs are purely of archaeological interest, please build from the current git master if possible (this is trivial on *ubuntu and pretty easy on other Linux distributions; don't know about *BSD) and encode using x264 or HEVC if your hardware is capable of decoding the latter in real time.

Xvid and FFmpeg-based MPEG-4 ASP encoder is still available in the 2.7.0 release and in the current git master.

milanovic102

I have now installed Ubuntu 16.04 with Avidemux 2.7.0 but encoded file is again very large.

Input video file size: 1,5 GB

---------------------------------------------
Video output:  Mpeg4 ASP(ff)
Audio Output:  AC3(lav)
Output Format: MP4v2 Muxer
---------------------------------------------

Result:  Output file size about 3GB. (video combined with subtitles)

That's huge...   How can I get smaller file with Avidemux 2.7.0?

I'm just combining Video and Subtitles.

eumagga0x2a

You better build from the current git --> http://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,18182.0.html
Please provide basic info about the source video like the output of MediaInfo or of Avidemux itself. In any case, don't use outdated Mpeg4 ASP (ff), use x264 instead.

AQUAR

I can't argue that x264 would be a better codec to recompress a video.

Sticking with ASP (Xvid) is fine if that is what is needed.
The recoding parameters of Mpeg4 are behind the ultimate file size.
Presumably their default settings are the cause of your issue.
You need to configure these parameters to get to a final file size that you are happy with.

Best way to combine subtitles with video is to include the subtitle as a separate track in the container (MKV is what I prefer!).
Most media players will able to display the subtitles from a subtitle track muxed into the container.
This way you don't need to hardcode the subtitles into the video, just need to mux the subtitle with the video and audio tracks.
MKVToolnix is a great free supplementary program to Avidemux that can mux all these tracks into an MKV file.