News:

--

Main Menu

DRC and Normalization

Started by RoadRanger, March 01, 2018, 03:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadRanger

Do these options just look at the segment you are saving or the entire file? I don't see them working as expected :( . My input file is a 4 hour 12GB+ MTS file with AC-3 audio and I'm outputting to AAC, just a one minute segment at the moment. I'm using the nightly build from yesterday I think...

RoadRanger

OK, verbalizing the problem led me to discover that the normalization looks at the ENTIRE input file and not just the segment being saved. How is this not a bug? In any case I can work around it for now...

RoadRanger

Looking in the project file I see:
adm.audioSetDrc(0, 1)
adm.audioSetNormalize(0, 1, 10)

Is there a description of those parameters anywhere?

eumagga0x2a

https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/blob/master/avidemux_plugins/ADM_scriptEngines/tinyPy/src/ADM_pyAvidemux.h

Replace "audio" with "py". "gain100" is likely a typo (a harmless one), ADM_GAINMode is defined in https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/blob/master/avidemux_core/ADM_coreAudioFilter/include/audiofilter_normalize_param.h.

So it is the first audio track, the mode is automatic, 1dB max (which is ignored in automatic mode and the hardcoded value of -3dB is used).

In audioSetDrc(0,1) the first parameter is the track, the second means DRC is enabled.

Quote from: RoadRanger on March 01, 2018, 03:39:54 AM
OK, verbalizing the problem led me to discover that the normalization looks at the ENTIRE input file and not just the segment being saved. How is this not a bug?

In most cases, saving different segments of a singe video and getting totally different, incompatible audio levels is not desirable. For your unusual use case, first save the chunk you are interested in in copy mode, then save it again with audio filter enabled.

RoadRanger

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on March 01, 2018, 01:00:04 PMIn most cases, saving different segments of a singe video and getting totally different, incompatible audio levels is not desirable. For your unusual use case, first save the chunk you are interested in in copy mode, then save it again with audio filter enabled.
Thanks for the explanation - and yes, that's my "workaround" :) .

RoadRanger

OTOH about a year ago I asked if Avidemux could someday support the "dynaudnorm" filter in FFMPEG as that seems to work a whole lot better than DRC + normalization for my band videos? I specifically need/use "-af dynaudnorm=b=1:n=0" :) . I record with a manual fixed gain that's fairly low so that I won't get any clipping...