Author Topic: Author Topic: Avidemux instructions for "dummies"  (Read 2074 times)

oshihari

Author Topic: Avidemux instructions for "dummies"
« on: May 17, 2018, 07:59:54 AM »
I'm absolutely new to video editing (including lossless trimming) & Avidemux too. I found the understanding of the basics and principles obviously hard and really got the impression that the help tutorials for Avidemux were geared towards those who at least knew something about the subject already , & I especially found the concepts of things like container formats, codecs, how and why certain formats can be exchanged & repackaged (and why some can't) quite hard to realise and understand. I'm thinking that it would of been great to have had a help section just for absolute beginners who know nothing about it all, with the basic essential concepts explained, and written in a way that an absolute beginner can understand. It would be a shame if absolute beginners were put off by how complex it can seem at 1st and never got to realise how great & powerful this piece of software really is.

eumagga0x2a

Re: Author Topic: Avidemux instructions for "dummies"
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
This is the natural gap between those who know the subject and don't understand beginners and beginners who know their needs but don't understand the subject. I hope that beginners with sufficient ambition will feed a search engine of their choice with terms they don't know yet (and in this way turn into advanced users). Ideed, Wiki hasn't got much attention since ages and the outlook is steadily grim.

TCampbell_L4SN

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
Hello,

I'm considering Avidemux and I was curious if someone could help me to decide on if this is the best software for what I want to accomplish.

Basically, I'm looking for a pretty simple set up.

I want to be able to cut up college football film to single out one player, and to be able to circle that player for a brief second at the beginning of the play so he can be easily recognized.

I really don't need a lot of bells and whistles to accomplish what I want.

A friend of mine suggested checking this software out so, here I am. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

eumagga0x2a

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
First of all, your question is not related to the topic, it would have been better to start a new one Too late now.

If the circle doesn't need to follow the player, then all you need is the "add logo" filter with a PNG image of a circle with transparent background and center.

You could also freeze the image for a few seconds using the "still image" filter and add the logo atop of it. Please note that you would have to edit audio manually with tools like Audacity to account for modified duration.

If you want the circle to track the position of the player: this is not possible with Avidemux.

Jaque

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 02:50:04 AM »
Another dummy here; downloaded V.2.7 64 bit to edit videos of our church service.
 After perusing various tutorials on You Tube(some of which are in English) all i managed to do was trim a bit off of the beginning of one clip.  The camera (Pentax K-50 in video mode) kept shutting down leaving us with multiple short clips; appending them together, despite trying to follow directions just does not work.
   My first video now has the audio so garbled (Sounds like we're talking in Duckish) that it's ruined and don't know how to fix it - hopefully still have the raw file on the SD card.
Another clip has an inappropriate comment on it which I'd like to edit out, but don't see any audio track... what's up with that?
  Do I have to edit that on a separate audio program and try to splice it back in so it coordinates with the video?
Open source video editors are few and far between, and I have yet to find one I can wrap my brain around. 
Any suggestions for a basic tutorial or alternative program "for dummies"? :-\

eumagga0x2a

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 06:42:41 AM »
The problems you experience are not a documentation issue, you should have started a new topic in the main forum (https://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/board,23.0.html).

downloaded V.2.7 64 bit

There is no 2.7 but 2.7.0, 2.7.1 and nightly builds. Please use the latest nightly (currently r180901) rather than the last release because nightlies include improvements and fixes which didn't make it into a release. Contrary to popular belief, developer builds are mostly more stable than releases.

After perusing various tutorials on You Tube(some of which are in English) all i managed to do was trim a bit off of the beginning of one clip.  The camera (Pentax K-50 in video mode) kept shutting down leaving us with multiple short clips; appending them together, despite trying to follow directions just does not work.

Depending on container used to store video and audio, premature camera shutdown may result in a severely damaged file.

My first video now has the audio so garbled (Sounds like we're talking in Duckish)

Some cases of audio sample rate misdetection were solved since 2.7.0, some remain present. Please try the latest nightly and, if the problem persists, please provide a sample via WeTransfer, Mega, Dropbox, Google Drive or similar service.

Another clip has an inappropriate comment on it which I'd like to edit out, but don't see any audio track... what's up with that?

Again, please give the latest nightly a try and in case the issue persists, please provide a sample.

Do I have to edit that on a separate audio program and try to splice it back in so it coordinates with the video?

If it is just the question of deleting a portion of video, you can do it with Avidemux (for frame-exact positioning of the start and end marker, you will probably need to re-encode video as deletions are restricted to GOP boundaries in copy mode). For replacing a portion of audio with silence or similar, extract the audio and use a dedicated audio editor (e.g. Audacity). Add the edited audio track (do not change the duration!) as an external audio track in Avidemux.

Jan Gruuthuse

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:31:32 AM »
some more info could be found @ YouTube: Avidemux Demo Playlists