Why do my edited mp4 files get larger when I save them?

Started by Accomac, July 12, 2018, 07:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Accomac

I have been doing some simple editing and cropping on some mp4 files. I notice that the resulting saved file is larger than the original, even though I've removed some content from the original.

To get access to some of the filters, it appears you must change the video output choice. I have been using MPEG4 ASP (ff) encoder. Where am I going wrong? Other than the files growing size the program is working fine. I am using 2.7.1.

Thanks a lot.

Accomac

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Accomac on July 12, 2018, 07:21:56 PM
I have been using MPEG4 ASP (ff) encoder.

Why? Unless you need compatibility to some extremely old hardware, you should use a modern codec like H.264 or HEVC (the latter does have compatibility issues with equipment which is not top-notch).

DivX is obsolete and massively inferior, resulting in much bigger file sizes if the source video was compressed with H.264.

Accomac

Sorry but I still have the same trouble using the other encoders..  :-[

The clips I am editing are mp4

I have your program set to:

Output Format - MP4 Muxer
Audio - Copy
Video Output - Nvidia HEVC
Video Decoder - LAVcodec and RGB

I've tried the other ones you suggested and others but the file size still increases when I save the edited files.

Sorry to bother you again, I appreciate the help.

Accomac

AQUAR

Probably this is simply due to the re-encoding configuration set to a conservative compression level.
Just try the AVC codec and set its configuration to provide a the desired file size for your edited video.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: AQUAR on July 25, 2018, 12:17:45 PM
Probably this is simply due to the re-encoding configuration set to a conservative compression level.

In other words, the default average and maximum bitrates set for the Nvidia HEVC hardware accelerated encoder are very high, excessively high for many use cases. Lower values, configurable by the user, still produce mostly acceptable results. The raison d'ĂȘtre of NVENC based encoders is to achive high encoding speeds, e.g. x264 and x265 are prohibitively slow on my hardware, Nvidia H264 is very fast (my graphics card is too old to support HEVC).

Accomac

Thank you very much to both of you for the quick reply. As soon as I get back onto my main machine I'll give what you suggested ago and we'll see how it turns out. Thanks again!

Accomac