News:

--

Main Menu

Feature request

Started by fish, July 31, 2018, 06:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish

Something just occurred to me a while ago when I accidently closed Avidemux instead of one of the folders open on top of it, Avidemux doesn't have a confirmation before closing. It may well be the only software I have used that doesn't have this and as I have just done the same thing, losing about 20 mins of editing, I thought it would make sense to request this feature.
Actually, I first thought, you're an idiot and then thought it would make sense to request this feature.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: fish on July 31, 2018, 06:08:29 AM
Something just occurred to me a while ago when I accidently closed Avidemux instead of one of the folders open on top of it, Avidemux doesn't have a confirmation before closing.

You would have lost the edits if you just closed the video. The confirmation dialog should be tied therefore to closing the loaded video, not Avidemux. It would be utterly frustrating to have to click it away each time if something like markers has been changed during the session. It would conflict with scripting as well (Avidemux doesn't have means to know if a command has been called from GUI or from a script).

An autosave function on video close with a menu action to load the last session could be IMHO a better solution, but by no means a priority.

fish

Ah, ok I have only ever used the GUI so I'm oblivious to the complications you allude to. I don't understand what you mean about the markers. I have managed up to now without this so it's no big deal, I just got careless when closing folders too quickly and hit the x at top right of Avidemux by mistake. As it is, hitting the top right x by mistake can be more inconvenient than a crash because a crash can normally be recovered.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: fish on August 06, 2018, 07:58:20 PM
I don't understand what you mean about the markers.

It was an example of an editing step.

In short: saving the last session is good, showing a confirmation dialog is bad, very bad. No time estimate for this to get implemented.

fish

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant, I didn't mean a confirmation of every action or edit but simply, 'Do you really want to close XXXX? or Do you really want to exit Avidemux? Yes - No, when closing Avidemux or closing a session.
Almost every piece of software in existence has this.Is there something unique to Avidemux that makes this bad? I'm just curious as maybe I have been missing out on some useful function of the software for a long time. I agree that saving the last session would be even better but wouldn't that be more complicated to implement?
I know it's not in any way important or urgent but I'm guessing you may have misunderstood what I meant initially.

AQUAR

@ fish just wants a Yes/No opportunity to confirm the exit action when using the exit button on ADM's main dialog window.

This means intercepting the exit button directive, and stopping it or invoking it as per further user input. (usually a Yes / No dialog!).
Mean or Eumagga are the ones that would know for sure if its as easy as I think it would be.

That said - ADM is by no means the exception in missing exit confirmation when using the exit button (have no opinion on it myself!).

eumagga0x2a

Autosaving the session is the way to go. I thought I was clear enough explaining the rationale behind it.

AQUAR

@ Eumagga

The OP's request has nothing to do with saving anything when using the "X" exit button (top right window corner!).
Its merely an end users perspective of how windows programs often exit when clicking on this button and a request to implement it on ADM.
When exiting ADM in this manner, is a simple confirmation dialog that could prevent the exit action (and thereby maintaining the state of ADM) not practical? (override the QT closeEvent to include a messagebox "yes/no" dialog!). 

Your rationale behind autosaving a session on exit is not being questioned here at all, in fact it would be a better all-round feature that will cover the intent to recover from an accidental exit. Loading the autosaved session would have to be a user initiated action as I for one like the way ADM starts with a basic known configuration.

fish

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on August 07, 2018, 06:41:00 PM
Autosaving the session is the way to go. I thought I was clear enough explaining the rationale behind it.
I didn't disagree with anything you posted but you clearly didn't understand my posts. I simply requested that when the x in the top right of Avidemux is clicked on using a mouse, that instead of instantly closing, potentially accidently losing all editing up tp that point, that instead of instantly closing, a conformation in the form of "Do you really want to close Avidemux? Yes or No?, is triggered. This would prevent the instant loss of editing done up to that point, if the x is clicked on accidently. I can't explain it any clearer or simpler.
Yes autosaving would be better but I assume, more work to implement than a double check on exit.

hiro

Hi

IN CASE the user would be requested to answer some "Do you want to quit ADM?" question (some day), I sure hope that an option to disable / enable that msg. would come with it...

AQUAR

The proper way to exit ADM is by using the Quit command under the File Menu Tab.
Choosing that Quit command is unlikely to be an accidental user initiated action, and so a confirmation dialog is not suggested for that.

I think the merit for this request is for developers to consider, and as usual which ever way is chosen will not suit some.

ADM is a simple editor and the main developer has made great strides to simplify the GUI these last few years.
Its the KISS principle and with that in mind "less is better".

eumagga0x2a

The last state of editing is now automatically saved when closing a video and can be restored if necessary via "Recent" --> "Restore previous session" menu action (also after application restart or computer reboot) on condition that no editing steps have been performed since then. "Session" is a bit of a stretch: we don't save editing steps but only the final state.

Please try the latest nightly.

AQUAR

Thanks for implementing this feature. 

JB

@AQUAR that wrote :

The proper way to exit ADM is by using the Quit command under the File Menu Tab.
Choosing that Quit command is unlikely to be an accidental user initiated action, and so a confirmation dialog is not suggested for that.

let me prove you wrong :

There is a little annoyance from this particular UX use case : before i made my autoHotkey script to control avidemux i used  ctrl-s to save snapshots and on my french keyboard i sometimes  unexpectedly quit because the q key is just left of the s key. At first i thought it was a bug but then i looked in the menu and the exit adm command shortcut is ctrl-q. Since i use my script i don't have the problem because i completely bypass the ctrl key but some people may have the problem.

AQUAR

Proves nothing as this topic is about accidental mouse action on the windows close button.
Mouse action relates the GUI of ADM not keyboard short cuts (which I think were made configurable!).
Using your mouse the exit a program is best via its programmed exit button (if it exists!).