News:

--

Main Menu

Feature request

Started by fish, July 31, 2018, 06:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: AQUAR on August 30, 2018, 11:07:49 AM
Using your mouse the exit a program is best via its programmed exit button (if it exists!).

The reimplemented closeEvent for the Avidemux main window calls the very same routine that gets called when using Ctrl+Q shortcut. It makes no difference.

AQUAR

Of course, however the point was general in nature viz "exit a program".

With the ADM keyboard shortcut for exit calling the same closeEvent, we also get the new "saved state feature".
I thought that was a good solution to the OP's issue and covers JB's issue as well.

JB

Quote from: AQUAR on August 30, 2018, 11:07:49 AM
Proves nothing as this topic is about accidental mouse action on the windows close button.
Mouse action relates the GUI of ADM not keyboard short cuts (which I think were made configurable!).
Using your mouse the exit a program is best via its programmed exit button (if it exists!).

my apologies i thought the topic was about accidentally exiting ADM without failsafe. I didn't know you could reconfigure the shortcut, i will search the doc but if you know where it is please let me know.

as for how properly exiting an application i don't know if there is an official proper way, the most i can recall from that days it was that you had to handle the X button and the file->quit the same way even if not triggered by the same event but it was 20 years ago so i have forgoten most of it. You are not the first person telling that people must use the "official " programmed way to exit an app but almost all the people i know use the X button. And as an ergonom once told me : always look at what people do, not what they say.

AQUAR

@JB

Thanks for the response.
You are quite right in that these days the program exit event is most likely the same regardless of the trigger.
But you never really know though unless you dig into the source code.
I too go back a long way with programming experience (mainframe days in fact). 

There was some talk about user defined key bindings but not sure it was ever acted upon (never checked as I don't use keyboard short cuts!)
The fail safe exit that has been implemented by Eumagga will help ameliorate the accidental ctrl+Q shortcut. 

JB

i did my own key bindings with autohotkeys since i use only keyboard for my editing so i don't have the accidental ctrl-q anymore, in fact i had almost forgotten until reading this post.

But for someone unaware it may be seen as a bug because people may expect a confirmation before exiting an app especially if it happens by accident. Honestly i don't know because i don't expect it when i use an app on the phone or the tablet.

fish

Great job on this one eumagga0x2a, I haven't tried this update yet but it appears to not only cover the occasional accidental stray mouse click but also adds a useful feature.