Windows 10 huge performance hit with ADM is not in foreground

Started by andrewk8, August 23, 2018, 10:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewk8

Windows 10 x64 and ADM 2.7.1.  Noticed a huge FPS drop when the ADM window is not in the foreground. Changed ADM Windows priority from Normal to Above Normal and still see the FPS hit when something at Normal priority is in the foreground.  ... even if that other foreground process is using <5% CPU.  Bring ADM to the foreground again and FPS rate jumps back up.  Even happens in copy mode which is not very CPU intensive.

Obviously something to do with Windows 10 task scheduling. Happens with other stuff that's CPU intensive or I/O intensive.  If Task Manger priority can't be used, not sure what knobs to turn.

Blues

Isn't Windows 10 horribly old? I think I had Windows 2000 once, sure there must be a newer version by now?

In any case, MS Windows is an insult to any computer enthusiast, I advise strongly against using their operating systems.

Jan Gruuthuse

- Windows 2000 predates XP
- Windows 10 is current, Windows 11 expected (2020).
windows timeline can be found @ Wikipedia: Timeline of Microsoft Windows

AQUAR

I am a computer enthusiast for more years than I care to share on this forum, and use windows as my main OS.
Pretty sure there are others PC enthusiasts that use windows and don't feel at all insulted by that. 
As Jan pointed out, Windows 10 is the current version of windows, it is fresher of the press then any other OS.

All other operating systems combined are loaded on less than 10% of the personal computer population.
It is poor judgement to strongly suggest that 90% of the user base should change their operating system without any supporting argument.

Microsoft windows is the most user friendly operating system, has by far the largest 3rd party support base and the largest useability/functionality spectrum. The best operating system under the hood is a matter of definition.

All this though doesn't help the OP one bit.

Blues

Hey, I replied only because there was no useful response. :) I was an IT manager and sysadmin for 7+ years. I quit because I could not stand Windows any more. I'm been a happy chap ever since (2003). I simply cannot understand how someone at their right mind could use something so broken security-wise, now add severe privacy issues with newer Windows versions. If there was certification for operating systems for connecting to the internet then Windows could never pass.
Easiest to use OS is Gentoo, IMHO. Everything is documented and whatever you do you can undo. Nothing happens mysteriously by itself, people have Gentoo installs 15 and more years old, running great, no need to "clean up", leave alone re-install. But enough off-topic talk. My excuse is the whole topic is way off-topic, including the initial post.

AQUAR

The OP did not raise an off-topic issue at all.
The observation made is that, ADM without focus on the main GUI, loses processing priority on a windows 10 system.

The windows version of ADM is created by cross compiling on Linux using open source compilers and QT.
My guess is that these compilers haven't quite caught up with the needs of windows 10. No reply means no-one has the time to investigate or has a ready made answer.

Just a bit regarding the off-topic security tangent.
Severity of security breaches is related to many factors and one of the biggest reasons is the target size and target value.
Windows users are a plenty and with much target value, as opposed to Linux users.
With that in mind, I do my online banking with a specially created version of puppy Linux.
It is stripped of almost everything, is modified to be non-persistent etc.   
So yes, Linux has its value and positives.   

Also, totally agree with the abuse of end user privacy by Microsoft (but it is "transparent" in the end user agreement so not an OS issue!).