News:

--

Main Menu

Filters without encoding?

Started by TheInvoker, September 26, 2018, 04:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheInvoker

Let's say i want to adjust saturation/colors or i want to crop and change resolution....
How can i do it without encoding? i don't need to change codec because the files already have the one i want.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: TheInvoker on September 26, 2018, 04:23:26 PM
Let's say i want to adjust saturation/colors or i want to crop and change resolution....
How can i do it without encoding?

Some video players allow to adjust these values during playback. Everything else implies re-encoding the video.

TheInvoker

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 26, 2018, 04:41:27 PM
Quote from: TheInvoker on September 26, 2018, 04:23:26 PM
How can i do it without encoding?

Some video players allow to adjust these values during playback. Everything else implies re-encoding the video.

Yes i know but unfortunately the settings are global and not for each video and i don't want to adjust every time i need

Blues

Not so global. There are lots of parameters you can set in the mkv header. Indeed, your player must be "smart" enough to apply them.

mkvpropedit -l

TheInvoker

i use MPC-BE or The KMPlayer
if you can tell me how do it with those players,please

The only one i know that allows to save different setting for each video is SMplayer but it's not my main player since it has more different things i don't like

eumagga0x2a

mpv allows file-specific configuration with configuration stored in the same directory as the file.

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#file-specific-configuration-files

mpv also usually has excellent hardware acceleration support (currently broken for Fedora 29 for HEVC because of a bug in ffmpeg 4.0.3, working fine with ffmpeg 4.1 or 3.3.9).

Clemens.Ratte-Polle

yes, mkv should be an universal video file format like any Video Editors project file with no reencoding of the original video file and with "live" non destructive filters :)