How to address the "Avidemux.AppImage" from the "Avidemux_Jobs"-Queue?

Started by thursdaychild, December 29, 2018, 09:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thursdaychild

Hi!

I came from Windows and switchte to Linux-Ubuntu (V18.04.1 LTS with Mate-desktop) last month. And that shall be with a "journey of no return". All is meanwhile running well, but using Avidemux makes me some trouble. I want to use the latest nightly-build of Avidemux, so I grabbed to the AppImage. This is running quite well, except one thing: I can't do batch-operatings.

So can anyone tell me, where I can find or what is to do, to use an "Avidemux-Jobs"-Program, which can address the AppImage for batch-operations?

Thanks in advance!

eumagga0x2a

If you wish to keep pace with the current Avidemux development, you should build Avidemux from source yourself which is almost trivial on Ubuntu.

thursdaychild

Thanks for the link! - Later I'll try to build Avidemux from source. But I suppose I will fail. Anyway, let's see....

I also have to report that the Avidemux-version from the repositories from Ubuntu is faulty in parts. Always when I do a batch-process with let's say about 15 tasks, about 3 to 4 will be not finished and cancelled. If I start a second run the faulty encoding-tasks (x264/MKV) are encoded correctly.

But the Avidemux-version is dated from august 2017 and labelled as "v2.7.1 v2". But in the repos they are marked as V2.6 . With the more actual repos, labelled as version "2.6" from october 2018 you can't do batch-processing. Something in the dependencies between the "avidemux_jobs" and the main-program is wrong.

thursdaychild

Quote from: thursdaychild on December 29, 2018, 06:10:03 PM
Thanks for the link! - Later I'll try to build Avidemux from source. But I suppose I will fail. Anyway, let's see....
Okay, I managed to build Avidemux from source now. Maybe later I'll upload the .deb-Files, so that anyone can install them without the time-consuming build-process.

eumagga0x2a

You might want to repeat the build after checking out the ffmpeg4x branch

git pull
git checkout ffmpeg4x

It contains a number of important fixes the git master doesn't have yet + FFmpeg 4.1.

Please don't upload debs, the CPack generated debs are rubbish, helpful only to facilitate uninstall.

thursdaychild

If I type your installation-commands, I receive the following error-messages:

frankoz@ASUS-LAPTOP:~$ git pull
fatal: Kein Git-Repository (oder irgendeines der Elternverzeichnisse): .git
frankoz@ASUS-LAPTOP:~$ git checkout ffmpex4x
fatal: Kein Git-Repository (oder irgendeines der Elternverzeichnisse): .git

eumagga0x2a

You must change to the avidemux2 directory before executing these commands.

thursdaychild

Okay, thanks. I will check that later. - But when are these fixes and improvements concerning FFmpeg expected to be merged to the main-code?

thursdaychild

I think everything went right. Now "my" Avidemux works with the most advanced FFmpeg 4.1-libraries. :)
Thanks for all the help here.

eumagga0x2a

Glad to hear that.

For the ffmpeg4x branch to be merged into master, the build infrastructure for the ffmpeg4x branch must be created and proven working correctly first, so that a public Beta can be offered to wide audience.

thursdaychild

Yet another question: I tried to generate an AppImage of these source-files, using the command-line "sudo sh makeAppImage.sh", but at the end the build-process cancels with the following error-message:

** ALL DONE **
** The installable packages are in the debs folder **
** Creating AppImage file **
QT_HOME not set, cancelling

Where has that QT_HOME (-directory?) to be set?

eumagga0x2a

You can't create an appImage this way, it needs some special tools and the environment the script is made for (I can't create it either :-D). Why would you want one?

By the way, you even don't need to install Avidemux to be able to run it, have a look at https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/blob/ffmpeg4x/run_avidemux_template.sh

Caveat: AFAIR the Jobs GUI is not yet compatible with portable mode.

thursdaychild

After 2 months I tried to recompile Avidemux with the above mentioned instructions, but now I receive the following error during the compiling-process:

E: Das Depot »http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid InRelease« ist nicht signiert.
N: Eine Aktualisierung von solch einem Depot kann nicht auf eine sichere Art durchgeführt werden, daher ist es standardmäßig deaktiviert.
N: Weitere Details zur Erzeugung von Paketdepots sowie zu deren Benutzerkonfiguration finden Sie in der Handbuchseite apt-secure(8).
The installation at least of some of the build dependencies failed. Aborting.
user@ASUS-LAPTOP:~/avidemux2$
Can anyone give me a hint, what to do? - OS-base is now Ubuntu Mate V18.04.2.
@ eumagga0x2a, I know you speak german. So I don't have to translate it.

Edit:
Okay, forget it, it's fixed. - There was something wrong in my program-sources.

eumagga0x2a

There should not be any need to run the script to install build dependencies more than just once, so that errors / obsolete / foreign entries in sources.list should not have mattered.