News:

--

Main Menu

Play video in an image

Started by HalfTauter, January 10, 2019, 11:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalfTauter

So I made a video from roughly 160 png images, but the resolution of these are quite small. So, watching this video in full screen is quite unappealing. Instead, I came up with the idea to play this video in the middle of an image that is 1920x1080. Now I am trying to figure how I can do this in Avidemux. I am using the 2.7.1 version btw.

Simply using the "Append" option won't work for two reasons: 1. the image that will be the background image is of different resolution than the video I have and 2. this is not what I want, I dont want the background image be followed by the video but instead have the video be played IN the background image that is of larger resolution.

Is this even possible in Avidemux? I figured asking this was worth a shot. If not, with what (simple and free) programs could this be done?

Thanks for reading and possibly answering this question!

eumagga0x2a

First of all, I would recommend using the latest nightly instead of the last release which has got long in the tooth.

What you want to accomplish is saving the background image as a PNG and editing it to create a transparent rectangle at the center matching the size of the original video, adding borders to the video to bring the resolution to 1920x1080 and finally using the edited PNG as logo image.

HalfTauter

guju

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 10, 2019, 11:35:54 PM
First of all, I would recommend using the latest nightly instead of the last release which has got long in the tooth.

Please don't mind, but ...

in my understanding nightly builds are anything but stable, being the first front of development.
It seems a little strange to me to propose that - instead of the last release - for the "everyone user".

dosdan

Quote from: guju on January 12, 2019, 09:52:46 AM
in my understanding nightly builds are anything but stable, being the first front of development.
It seems a little strange to me to propose that - instead of the last release - for the "everyone user".

A lot of bug fixes, particularly in response to problematic clips, are being applied between the official releases, which was last updated in mid-2018 (see https://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/files/avidemux/)

Generally, I've found the stability of the nightly builds to be fine.

Dan.

eumagga0x2a

Generally it depends. In case of Avidemux, releases are not much more than snapshots with officially published checksums and nightlies are just like releases without official checksums but with more bugfixes. They are ~99% of the time more stable than releases in the sense that they are less crashy and work better. They are unstable in the sense that e.g. project scripts, working with the last release, may stop working with a nightly due to interface changes, compatibility with old operating system versions may get lost without notice or a particular feature may become temporarily broken.

Of course, should greater modifications (e.g. moving from internal time representation in microseconds to a rational) be tackled one day, a period of time with bad nightlies may come. For now, nightlies are a far better choice.

guju

Well, yes, but a "typical user" of Avidemux won't know
that Avidemux' releases are worse than Avidemux' nightlys,
and when the opposite is the case (period of time of heavy dev).

In typical devs one should keep away from nightlys when there is no special reason.

BUT I don't want to niggle.
(Just the opposite actually).

THANK YOU  :)