Better usability when adding jobs

Started by busch, January 11, 2019, 02:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busch

Hello out there,

I'm currently converting and trimming a lot of movies using Avidemx. I really like the job queue feature, but creating a new job is a bit cumbersome and slow. Every time I need to type in a job title and then I need to browse to the destination folder and type in the destination file name and add the extension.
When working on a tv show, where all the files are similarly named this is very error prone.

I think it would be much faster and easier when Avidemux suggests plausible values by itself:

• job title: source file name without extension and with an arbitrary number to avoid conflicts
  • destination folder: same as the source file on first use in this session. Or at least on subsequent uses: the last used destination from this session
  • destination file: source file name without extension. The extension can automatically be derived from the chosen output format. On conflicts the job is skipped or an arbitary number is added

With this only one or two steps would be required to add a job to the queue.

Another trap on windows is, that when using the windows notation for folders (C:\program files\...) Avidemux swallows it, but doesn't create a proper job. Happend once to me and I had to redo 10 jobs. :(

What do you think?

best regards
busch

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: busch on January 11, 2019, 02:22:58 PM

• destination folder: same as the source file on first use in this session. Or at least on subsequent uses: the last used destination from this session
  • destination file: source file name without extension. The extension can automatically be derived from the chosen output format. On conflicts the job is skipped or an arbitary number is added

I guess this part has been independently addressed by [coreUI/qt/cli] Add file extension filtering to the new file selector interface, use the same backend both for the old and the new one.

I don't have really a use case for the jobs queue, would you want to step in? --> https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/blob/ffmpeg4x/avidemux/common/gui_save.cpp#L113